Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Advice & Critiques»Eqvuivalent colors?

Eqvuivalent colors?

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 6 of 6 Comments
Hi, I am trying to learn how to create colors. If I find a color I like and it is blue, is there any generator out there to create on that is the equivalent color of pink, green or any other given color?
Take this one as an exampel:

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/605421/Crystal_Ice_Palace

How do I continue adding colors to this palette and make sure they are compatible with the previous?
Mrhaaat wrote:
Hi, I am trying to learn how to create colors. If I find a color I like and it is blue, is there any generator out there to create on that is the equivalent color of pink, green or any other given color?

Try the Triad and/or Tetrad option(s) on the advanced palette maker. Put in the HEX code of the color you want (in the bar that says HEX underneath it). Then click on one of the smaller circles for a similar shade of a different color. The Triad option will pick out two other colors to choose from, while the Tetrad will give you three.
Good tips, problem is it generates colors at random it seems. Like for instance, I feel the need to add a greyish color to go with a color ut the generator only randomizes other colors. How do people go about then? Is it only made with reliance on the capability of recognizing matching color with only the eyes as help?

Personally I can not say I trust my eyes to judge wether or not a color matches or not, that skill was not overly well developed for me unfortunately.
Mrhaaat wrote:
Good tips, problem is it generates colors at random it seems. Like for instance, I feel the need to add a greyish color to go with a color ut the generator only randomizes other colors. How do people go about then? Is it only made with reliance on the capability of recognizing matching color with only the eyes as help?

Personally I can not say I trust my eyes to judge wether or not a color matches or not, that skill was not overly well developed for me unfortunately.

Actually, the colors chosen by the Triad or Tetrad are equidistant from from each other and the white middle, so it's not that random. But I don't know, I guess if that's not working for you, you could just practice choosing matching colors. After all, they do say practice makes perfect. But like I said I don't know, so maybe someone can come up with a better idea.
Spending a little time with a color wheel and exploring color relationships using it would go a long way to help you. A color wheel is not the only basis for picking colors but it will always be among the most consistent and "safest" for lack of a better word. You can find some nice color wheel and color relationship tutorials online.

Lovely Lakes is on the right track. All common color schemes are referenced to how colors are positioned on a color wheel. Triadic, for example has colors at the points of an equilateral triangle---blue, red and yellow for example. Complimentary colors are directly across from each other on a color wheel. Split compliments are to either side of a color's compliment. Analogous colors are those next to each other on a color wheel. And on it goes.

My practice used Color Impact a lot to build custom color wheels and then abstract colors for the different typical color schemes. It has all kinds of other wonderful color exploration tools. It has not been updated in awhile but I assume you can still download it from Tiger Color in Oslo. There used to be a free trial offer.

I have played with only some but there are decent smartphone color exploration tools (in the Android world at least---I do not know about Apple) that work in similar fashion. Choose a color as your color wheel anchor and they will identify colors according to the color schemes you want to explore. Type in something like "color scheme" in the Play Store search bar to find them.
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

TnT_Terry
TnT_Terry
I would honestly like to know whose brilliant idea it was to try forcing a defunct program on people wishing to create patterns? I mean seriously, flash no longer exists, no support and Adobe demands people to uninstall due to damage that can be done to other programs and your PC. So why can I not make patterns without a flashplayer popup saying I can't because I don't have it installed?
ShiversTheNinja
ShiversTheNinja
1 day ago
From what I can gather the Sphinx server has been down for over a month and the forums are inundated with spam. I want all my old patterns back but I can't even view my profile. What is going on? Was the site abandoned?
paulsky555
paulsky555
1 day ago
Hot Service – Today New Update

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN
Sell info fullz SSN + Dob + DL – Sell Info Fullz Dead UK USA

Telegram: Paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
1 day ago

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

paulsky555
paulsky555
1 day ago

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.