Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Lover's Lounge»stolen palettes patterns

stolen palettes patterns

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 20 of 47 Comments
Someone recently stole one of my palettes...
How should I react? I don't want to make a scene of it.
Well, I think you should politely tell them that they've stolen your palette. Or tell them to put your palette as the inspiration since they obviously got the idea from one of yours. But how can someone steal a palette? Really, I don't know how xD.
Well, I think you should politely tell them that they've stolen your palette. Or tell them to put your palette as the inspiration since they obviously got the idea from one of yours. But how can someone steal a palette? Really, I don't know how xD.

She's using the same first four colors and one that's almost exactly the same.
Then, I'd suggest politely asking her to put your palette as the inspiration, since it's almost the same.
This is a gray area issue.
Some people feel like their palettes are their intellectual property, and others feel that they're more fair game.
For instance, can you be sure that it was intentional?

I don't know what your particular situation is, but there are only so many colours and so many arrangements of them. I myself will stumble upon other people's palettes that are near identical twins to ones I've created. Sometimes it's just an issue of great minds...

My suggestion is to try to interpret it as flattery, not theft.
I know it's tempting to be protective of your creations, but unless you can be sure some deliberation or ill will was involved (which is very rare here @ CL), it's probably not worth getting upset over.
e-punching solves so many online issues
Sometimes it's just an issue of great minds...

THAT'S RIGHT! :).
I created a palette that uses four colours from bluelotusstudio's "In the 50s" palette and one created by myself. I wanted to experiment with greens, as I was creating a new brand for a client, and needed to use the new palette in AI.

This is a community. We're here to inspire each other. I would just move on.

QP_(in_the_50s)

in_the_50s
lisarae wrote:

QP_(in_the_50s)

in_the_50s

bent_out_of_shape

sorry, i was inspired! :DD
i realize the brightness totally takes away the original intended effect
but i also dont care cus i love it that way ^_^

electroniclove wrote:
Then, I'd suggest politely asking her to put your palette as the inspiration, since it's almost the same.

I agree it's polite to post the palette that inspired the new palette and it's best to give people the benefit of the doubt and ask what their intentions were instead of making a scene.

I was recently involved in a similar situation and we resolved it peacefully to our mutual satisfaction.
Team
We're here to share the love... so the whole point is for people to be inspired by others ideas and works. I can understand the frustration of somebody copying all your palettes. (I would see multiple instances of this as antagonistic and probably would do something about it) But one instance sounds like they were just inspired by what you did but thought it needed a tweak.

+D
It might help you to look at it this way: You know what your motivation was in making your palette, and you created it with that motivation in mind. Even if another palette is almost identical, the motivation for making it is totally different than the motivation you had. That makes the two palettes really quite different because why we make things is truly unique for each person. The difference is in the difference. Look at the difference, not the similarity.
Another way of looking at it is this: you have already moved on to your next ideas and they are where they are now. Where you were when you made that palette is history now.
lesaint wrote:
This is a gray area issue.
Some people feel like their palettes are their intellectual property, and others feel that they're more fair game.
For instance, can you be sure that it was intentional?

I don't know what your particular situation is, but there are only so many colours and so many arrangements of them. I myself will stumble upon other people's palettes that are near identical twins to ones I've created. Sometimes it's just an issue of great minds...

My suggestion is to try to interpret it as flattery, not theft.
I know it's tempting to be protective of your creations, but unless you can be sure some deliberation or ill will was involved (which is very rare here @ CL), it's probably not worth getting upset over.

This is intelligent and fair advice. Well put lesaint. Next time Im coming to you for advice!!!
i dont think anyone owns pallets they created here... but i think credit should be given as in the inspirational area... as i have done the same...

i would doubt 4 out of 5 colors being identical would be a coincidence unless they are only triple hex colors
Sorry to bump this thread, but recently I stumbled upon a palette that has the exact same colors as one of mine, only arranged in a reverse order with a different title and no widths.
Is this a normal occurrence?
I had someone comment on one of my palettes where I think they assumed I stole their idea, and they even did a nice little comparison showing how much my palette resembled their palette....wow..that someone gets worked up over the similarity of a color palette just makes me realize that world hunger is just not important at all. heaven forbid that my shade of blue is so close to their shade of blue. or that anyone else would think of a white, light blue, midnight blue, grey, black combo is just beyond me! It just makes me angry because I don't get what the fuss is about...why is it such a big deal if someone uses your colors and changes it up a bit? I think people need to take a chill pill. I am not going to sell the palette or pattern...all I want to do is make combos for my backgrounds/wallpapers.....I think maybe a separate site needs to be made for people who take this too seriously and want to put some sort of protection on their creation....I'm just using this site for recreation and not for business use and frankly could care less if someone copies a pattern or palette I made, for all I know, what they come up with may turn out to be so much better! sheesh people, go find a paysite to protect your precious palettes and leave this site for people who are on here for the enjoyment of it
I have to agree with Dianne, though I can't say I would have been as aggressive in my wording.
Color is universal. None of us owns a single color or palette. Color unites us because it's available to all. Though I do believe that we should respect each other and give credit where credit is due.
If anyone here can't understand this, I think they're on the wrong site and I hope they don't consider a career as a professional artist.
I cannot tell you how many times I've found my photographs online without credit. Occasionally, someone has even claimed them as their own. Heck, once I found an entire website that I had created copied in its entirety (including my photos and even bio information - though that was changed slightly) and claimed by someone else as their own work.

Photographs and an entire website are obviously copyrighted materials. A palette is really is kind of debatable. I use to get really irritated over my stuff getting stolen, but that kind of wore off. Now if I find something uncredited, I usually send a polite asking for a credit back to my website assuming that they found it online and didn't know whose work it was. If they've claimed it as their own, I just roll my eyes. Anything passed that is a waste because it is not like someone who would do that would have any shame and getting service providers to pull the work is so futile.

Is it possible that the first four colors all showed up as new colors when they were browsing the site and the person who created the similar palette saw them and made the same natural connection to the fifth color that you did when creating the original? I would assume that is the case, particularly if those first four colors are new.

Even if that isn't the case, I think that it isn't worth bothering with. Either it was an innocent mistake or not. It doesn't matter much either way.
"Good artists copy. Great artists steal."
--Pablo Picasso

"Originality is the art of concealing your source."
--Franklin P. Jones
OrigamiMei wrote:
I have to agree with Dianne, though I can't say I would have been as aggressive in my wording.
Color is universal. None of us owns a single color or palette. Color unites us because it's available to all.
If someone here can't understand this, I think they're on the wrong site and I hope they don't consider a career as an artist.

yes just like our palettes the other day Origami, we had made and neither of us realized it until someone else pointed it out... This has happens to me a few times before also ..
I always think that its kinda neat when it happens myself but I am really interested in finding more out about that E~PUNCHING !! =D
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

paulsky555
paulsky555
Contact Me NOW FOR UPDATE DATA
#Fullz INFO SSN DOB USA
#Fullz INFO SSN DOB DL USA
#ID SCAN two-sided
#FULLZ INFO UK
#FUllz INFO UK + NIN
#FULLZ INFO CA + SIN
#FULLZ INFO GER + IBAN

Telegram: Paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
#Fullz INFO SSN DOB USA
#ID SCAN two-sided
#FULLZ INFO UK
#FUllz INFO UK + NIN
#FULLZ INFO CA + SIN
#FULLZ INFO GER + IBAN

paulsky555
paulsky555
#Fullz INFO SSN DOB USA
#ID SCAN two-sided
#FULLZ INFO UK
#FUllz INFO UK + NIN
#FULLZ INFO CA + SIN
#FULLZ INFO GER + IBAN

paulsky555
paulsky555
#Fullz INFO SSN DOB USA
#ID SCAN two-sided
#FULLZ INFO UK
#FUllz INFO UK + NIN
#FULLZ INFO CA + SIN
#FULLZ INFO GER + IBAN

paulsky555
paulsky555
6 hours ago
TODAY HOT UPDATE
Full Info USA
Full Info Male
Full Info Female
Full Info State
Full Info DOB
Full Info MMN
Full Info Random
Full Info Military
Full Info Bussines
Full Info DL + exp
Full Info CS
Full Info + Employer Info
Full Info + BA(A & R)+DL + Employer info
Full Info CANADA ?? (Random).
Full Info USA wholesale.
Full Info State

TELEGRAM: Paulsky555

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.