Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Lover's Lounge»stolen palettes patterns

stolen palettes patterns

Create New Topic
Showing 21 - 40 of 47 Comments
emi emi emi wrote:
Someone recently stole one of my palettes...
How should I react? I don't want to make a scene of it.

I say "who cares?!" You made a palette. Someone else made a similar palette. No one was injured. The world didn't stop turning.

Think about it --- there are 1.5 MILLION palettes on this site. Your palette and theirs are but two tiny drops of water in a vast ocean of palettes.

This is all in the name of fun. I see palettes like mine all the time. I never once think that they are "stealing" from me. Sometimes I see palettes like mine, only to find that they were made before I made mine. It happens.

Just do your own thing and have fun. If you are overly concerned about what others are doing, and spend too much time trying to guess their intentions, you're going to be miserable here.
Look at the top palettes of all time and see how many times they've been "copied" with the same exact colours.

At least you made something creative enough someone wanted to copy it ;)

p.s. you can always paste your "original" palette badge in the copier's comment box. That's what I do when I feel wronged; but, you get over it after time. It's not worth it.
Miaka wrote:

p.s. you can always paste your "original" palette badge in the copier's comment box. That's what I do when I feel wronged; but, you get over it after time. It's not worth it.

I do this too whenever I see a palette similar to one of mine. I call them "sister"palettes :D
When I see a palette that is similar to mine, I think it's pretty cool!
I've always taken a similar philosophy myself. Not only are there a limited number of basic colour combinations but there are many that are pleasing to the eye and are going to be recreated by people time and again (I know I've created more than one "sister" palette completely by chance:). In these cases, I like to appreciate the subtleties in what is different about them.
However, what about something like this:
Cookie_Monster_RC
They're not just sister palettes, they'e identical twins. Exact same colours, exact same placements. The only difference is that the first colour is almost imperceptibly varied. Any thoughts?
019Easter_Grass_RC

Another coincidence maybe? >_<
I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you've pointed it out, it seems a lot of the palettes on the page are copied.

Although the colors are not all exactly the same (only one identical color in my case), the other shades are so similar that you can't tell the difference unless you have an awesome set of eyes.

Honestly, this does slightly irk me. Nothing can be done but posting the badge on the page. Oh well, I guess...

Luna Rosa wrote:
I've always taken a similar philosophy myself. Not only are there a limited number of basic colour combinations but there are many that are pleasing to the eye and are going to be recreated by people time and again (I know I've created more than one "sister" palette completely by chance:). In these cases, I like to appreciate the subtleties in what is different about them.
However, what about something like this:
Cookie_Monster_RC
They're not just sister palettes, they'e identical twins. Exact same colours, exact same placements. The only difference is that the first colour is almost imperceptibly varied. Any thoughts?
So what do you think I/we should do? They're a newbie and I don't want to scare them off if this is a genuine mistake but at the same time, repeatedly copying people's work so blatantly is just not cricket. I'm not really upset, it's just a silly palette but if it was me and I was inadvertently doing something iffy, I would prefer someone just tell me so that I could fix it.
Good question.
You must have more faith in people than I do. I automatically assumed that the intentions were less than honorable. :P The temptation to contact the person and ask them what their problem is was strong, but I resisted.
Maybe the person won't even stick around. Who knows? If it keeps on, someone needs to say something. But for now, maybe we could just let it slide?

Luna Rosa wrote:
So what do you think I/we should do? They're a newbie and I don't want to scare them off if this is a genuine mistake but at the same time, repeatedly copying people's work so blatantly is just not cricket. I'm not really upset, it's just a silly palette but if it was me and I was inadvertently doing something iffy, I would prefer someone just tell me so that I could fix it.
Ok, I shall give them the benefit of the doubt and post my palette nicely like you did. Some people (namely myself) are not only genuinely innocent but completely oblivious as well. You've sent me a "sister" palette massage before and only now do I realise that you were subtly suggesting I may have copied. Maybe it's because it was a coincidence and the thought of deliberately taking someone else's palette never even crossed my mind but I was just like "wow, isn't that cool" and any point you might have been trying to make just went completely over my head. I can be very thick at times:)
LOL Oh no!
I never meant to imply that I thought you were copying. That never crossed my mind. Actually, when I posted my badge on the page of the palette so similar to mine, I did think that it was just a coincidence or that they were inspired by my palette. Your post here, though, switched my brain into "They're up to no good" mode concerning the person we're discussing.
I really do believe in sister palettes. I believe in the goodness and creativity of most of the people here but I see 2 palettes basically copied color for color, I get very suspicious.

Luna Rosa wrote:
Ok, I shall give them the benefit of the doubt and post my palette nicely like you did. Some people (namely myself) are not only genuinely innocent but completely oblivious as well. You've sent me a "sister" palette massage before and only now do I realise that you were subtly suggesting I may have copied. Maybe it's because it was a coincidence and the thought of deliberately taking someone else's palette never even crossed my mind but I was just like "wow, isn't that cool" and any point you might have been trying to make just went completely over my head. I can be very thick at times:)
It's all good, probably time to let it go but still keep one eye open:)
Luna Rosa wrote:
You've sent me a "sister" palette massage

woo! sounds hawt! ;D
pocketmole wrote:
woo! sounds hawt! ;D

Lol, I didn't even notice that. Like I said, oblivious:)
pocketmole wrote:
Luna Rosa wrote:
You've sent me a "sister" palette massage

woo! sounds hawt! ;D

Boom chicka wow wow
Funny - this happened to me a couple of months back too -- a complete copy by a new member.

Be_Nicelog_cabin_carpet

I made my palette, and the new member loved it, used it to make her own pattern, and then copied it outright a day or two later. I was surprised at how indignant I felt when I saw it. But with sober second thought, I realized, "Yep, we don't really 'own' colours or even how they're combined into a palette."

I sent the new member a love note -- explained how normally we don't try to directly replicate other peoples' palettes. If we admire something someone else did, we might post a badge code on our own page so others can admire it too. I told her I hoped she'd stick around and create some of her own work. And.....

...never seen or heard from again.

Sigh.
In fact, if anyone owns it, it's Darius

http://www.colourlovers.com/privacy

"All content submitted to the COLOURlovers web site, including but not limited to Colors, Palettes, Patterns, Comments, Ratings; become the property of COLOURlovers."

doesn't that suck?
Team
We'll be changing the terms to respect the content people upload more and to provide clearer wording around how they retain all their rights to their work.
Thanks for trolling me a reminder.
Well it's been a year dude ;)
Team
Indeed it has. And my promise is still as good as it was a year ago to not abuse your and all members rights to their own work. For example, when MetLife wanted a pattern for that window display in NYC... we didn't grant them permission, we asked the member for permission and passed the income on to her.

Changing the rights isn't something I can just do myself. We're making a big change to the terms which gives the rights back to our members and need to make sure the terms are correct to not just protect us, but to protect your work. This involves making big changes to rights management on the site and involves lawyers to draft the terms... There is a chicken and egg thing there with the lawyers as we need to have the system built out so they can write the terms that match well to how the system works... Otherwise they have to go several revisions on drafting the terms, and lawyers aint cheap.

For reference... The terms we'll generally end up with are similar to what Threadless has:
You shall be solely responsible for your own User Submission and the consequences of posting or publishing them. You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting the User Submissions to Threadless.com, you hereby grant Threadless.com a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable, and transferable right and license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the Website and Threadless.com's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media now known or hereafter developed. The foregoing license granted by you terminates once you remove or delete a User Submission from the Website.
g l e e * wrote:
Sorry to bump this thread, but recently I stumbled upon a palette that has the exact same colors as one of mine, only arranged in a reverse order with a different title and no widths.
Is this a normal occurrence?

s_u_m_m_e_r_l_a_n_dspeak.
This is what I was referring to earlier; the colors are identical.
I know I have no claim to the colors and I'm not extremely bothered by it, but I'm just confused as to why this would be done, though I'm hesitant to ask.
g l e e * wrote:
g l e e * wrote:
Sorry to bump this thread, but recently I stumbled upon a palette that has the exact same colors as one of mine, only arranged in a reverse order with a different title and no widths.Is this a normal occurrence?

s_u_m_m_e_r_l_a_n_dspeak.
This is what I was referring to earlier; the colors are identical.
I know I have no claim to the colors and I'm not extremely bothered by it, but I'm just confused as to why this would be done, though I'm hesitant to ask.

Oh that is just wrong. I'd definitely ask what reason she had for copying color for color, but that's just me. I have a bad habit of running my mouth when I feel somebody is wronging me. :P
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

paulsky555
paulsky555
HOT Service Create and print DL USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tele: Paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
13 hours ago
New Update Info Fullz 2024 Social Security Number ( SSN ) Driver License ( DL ), Scan Scan front and back DL SSN
Fullz info SSN DOB DL with hight Credit Score
New Method 2024 for withdraw Money, Make Money
Sell info fullz SSN + Dob + DL – Sell Info Fullz Dead UK USA- Sell Cvv
Sell Info Fullz Company USA Uk Ca Fresh 2024
Telegram: Paulsky555

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.