Welcome to our web color community. Here you'll find the latest web-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your next web design project.

Channels»Web»Forums»Web»Pixel Perfect Colors»How to classify RGB values to colours like Blue, Green, reds etc

Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

How to classify RGB values to colours like Blue, Green, reds etc

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 7 of 7 Comments
Hi

I needed some real guidance. Actually I have a set of approx 2000 colours that have values in RGB. But I want to put these shades in different categories like Red, Blues, Greens, Yellows, Off whites etc depending on the RGB value. Can anyone please suggest me any tool, thumbrule or theory that can help me do this.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Regards
In your case, using the HSV data of a colour is probably the most suitable for your purposes since it's a direct shorthand of what you want to know. Match it up against a reference to establish your hue ranges, and you're probably set. There are a variety of RGB>HSV converters available online.

Other than that, here's a pretty basic rule of thumb for colour sorting:

The hex code of a colour is functionally identical to it's RGB address(It's just more efficient), you can use either to predict a colour with reasonable accuracy.

Colour #DFC4CB is a colour where the value of R =DF, G=C4, and B=CB.

That means that it is a very light colour, since all the values are quite high; that it is a reddish colour, since DF is the highest hex value; that it will be a colour of relatively low saturation, since there is not a tremendous variance in the channels, and that it will bias slightly towards purple instead of orange, since CB is higher than C4.

It should be a pale, dull, slightly bluish pink.
Надя
+1 for HSV
Hi praxicalidocious and Sero,

Thank you very much for the reply. It points me in the right direction. But are the Hue values segregated as '0 to x' is red, 'x to y' is green and so on so forth, or we have to do some approximations.

Also I have nearly 2000 shades, and most RGB to HSV are single input converters. Or are there any bulk converters.

Best Regards
Sorry, I just re-read and saw that you're using RGB and I was talking HEX. Same issues though, and really the same system. Just search for RGB to HSV conversion instead.
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

Skiffy
Skiffy
2 hours ago
So... is this site failing? There's so many things "the sphinx server has broken" Or is all this just "normal"?
paulsky555
paulsky555
4 hours ago
2024 UPDATE GOOD SELLER
CVV - FULLZ INFO - DL PHOTO - FULLZ DEAD
HOT AND FRESH UPDATE
Telegram: @Paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
4 hours ago
2024 UPDATE GOOD SELLER
HOT AND FRESH UPDATE
paulsky555
paulsky555
4 hours ago
2024 UPDATE GOOD SELLER
HOT AND FRESH UPDATE
paulsky555
paulsky555
4 hours ago
2024 UPDATE GOOD SELLER
HOT AND FRESH UPDATE

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Web Colors

//View More ›

Latest Web Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Web Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.