Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Site Info»Announcements»Updated Homepage

Updated Homepage

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 20 of 24 Comments
Team
Ok, we're taking steps towards what we heard you all wanted...

We've shortened up the height of the homepage and have brought in an activity feed that shows all the latest comments happening on the site. We'll be putting this in the side bar on a lot more pages very soon too.

Let us know your thoughts.
+D
I like the new homepage. I like how the new palettes, patterns, and colors are grouped together. Bonus points for displaying the titles of the new work and the username of the lover who created them.

The limited number of latest comments is honestly making me miss the older version. I would often go back a few pages in V3 just to see what I had missed. I also miss having the comments readily available on the new palette/ pattern/ color pages.
woo hoo!
Haha, I've just got used to the horizontal lay-out of the new homepage and now you are changing it again - to a vertical way! Took me a moment to focus and to find what I was looking for and then I saw the comments area! Woot!

Seriously this is nice and compact, much better! Good work, thank you!
oh wooooow! LOVE it...it looks great!
I am sooooo happy about the lover's peek on the side bar....making it feel more connected again. & i love seeing the lover's names on the latest creations!
Can I get a WOOT WOOT?!?!?!?! ;D

thank you Darius and guys for listening and your hard work to make this happen!
truly is the best community on the net!
Happy Friday ALL!
i would have to agree with the people before me and say
thank you for listening, taking all of the suggestions
in and giving it a go. :)

i think it looks great!
as Sylke mentioned before me,
it's super functional and very compact.
when i look at it, i think of different comments
that have been taken into consideration
and ideas that have been integrated into
this new homepage. it's a fantastic
improvement.

thanks again for your diligence and hard work. :)

maria
Well done! Very nice!
Kudos on the "Lovers Peek" corner. Overall design feels clean cut, neat and concise at the same time being highly informative! Appreciate your on-going efforts to take in our feedback! It's great : )

Cheers!

Edit*
COLOURlover wrote:
Ok, we're taking steps towards what we heard you all wanted...

We've shortened up the height of the homepage and have brought in an activity feed that shows all the latest comments happening on the site. We'll be putting this in the side bar on a lot more pages very soon too.

Let us know your thoughts.
+D

Darius, I really like the design of the activity feed, but there are times when some comments have a palette badge or a youtube video etc. in their comments - and that sometimes attracted me to look at the work... I'm guessing that the design of "Lovers Peek" on the home page is going to be the same for the other pages as well, but this design is missing out on the above aspect....

But overall, "Yay!" to less scrolling! : )
Darius, I really like the design of the activity feed, but there are times when some comments have a palette badge or a youtube video etc. in their comments - and that sometimes attracted me to look at the work... I'm guessing that the design of "Lovers Peek" on the home page is going to be the same for the other pages as well, but this design is missing out on the above aspect....

I'm with cstallions in missing the palette badges/ YouTube videos/ pictures that people would sometimes post in the latest comments. The "Lovers Peek" is certainly better than nothing at this point, but I dearly miss finding new work when something grabbed my attention in the new comments. It was a great way of discovering "gems" that I would have otherwise missed.
*Lovers Peek... most excellent.
*Active lovers, also good. Would love to see their screen names, too.
*Great to see new palettes, patterns, colors
*Glad to see the "lovers" term showing up here. I think one reason this site is so friendly is because of the "lovers, love notes," etc., terminology. The red hearts etc. All that "lover" branding sets the tone.

Very much looking forward to seeing more of what's happening on more pages.

Thank you!
Gulp, I feel like I'm going blind. I see some changes on my homepage, but I can't find a lot of the things mentioned above. I don't see:

-- an activity feed that shows all the latest comments happening on the site
-- the titles of the new work and the username of the lover who created them
-- the lover's peek on the side bar
-- active lovers

Help! I'm running Firefox 3.6 on a Windows XP machine. I've logged off and logged on again and refreshed my screen, but my homepage still looks like it did yesterday ... twilight zone ...
Team
@GreenMyEyes... That's weird. (But good to know that even in the twilight zone there is an internet connection... :) )

Ok, maybe if you try clearing your browser cache?
neato team !
:) thank you
it's a big improvement, thanks a lot guys
COLOURlover wrote:
@GreenMyEyes... That's weird. (But good to know that even in the twilight zone there is an internet connection... :) )

Ok, maybe if you try clearing your browser cache?

Finally figured it out! I run Firefox with the Block Pop-Up Windows. Once I realized that was the problem, I could allow COLOURlovers as an exception, and now I'm neither going crazy nor blind!

And I can now Whoop and Holler about how good these changes are! Whoop! Holler!
The top navigation bar seems to be a bit high which pushes the content down...not useful especially when you're 1280x800 with toolbars on top on a Mac.
Sorting groups on the home page doesn't seem to work. Or at least not the way I would expect. I click to search the "last active" group, and it doesn't bring a group up. Do we have to add a search word, or can we have there be a default of the last active group, no matter the subject,etc? thanx.
Raymie wrote:
The top navigation bar seems to be a bit high which pushes the content down...not useful especially when you're 1280x800 with toolbars on top on a Mac.

If Raymie is talking about the dark grey bar along the top, I would agree that it would be nice to have it drop further into the page (more wide from top to bottom.
I really appreciate the CL team listening and making steps toward the feedback you’ve heard. Thank you, Darius and crew. I know this is still a work in progress, and I want you to know you have my utmost respect and thanks for responsiveness. Since you asked for feedback on this set of changes so I’ll voice my personal preferences… Because of the nature of this feedback there are criticisms, but they are only made with the wish to help–

My perception is that this homepage revision aimed to minimize scrolling, condense and move important content toward the top, and address the wishes of users who’ve missed seeing recent comments (together with recent creations). For me, the interaction between active lovers, recent comments and new creations was at the heart of my interaction with other members, and central to my experience of leaning about other people’s work. And in my experience, it was the central gathering place which fostered my sense of connectedness and community– so I feel it’s important to get this feature right, with NO loss or reduction of function from version 3. I believe this revision succeeds in the aims of effectively arranging content, but fails in the area of restoring the functionality or scope of recent comments which was available in Colourlovers V.3 and I would be disappointed if this is as far as the changes go.

ISSUES
V.3 of CL allowed users to see the full content of a long string of recent comments, with adequate space to display html content, multiple pattern badges, web links, etc…
• Within Lovers Peek, seeing only a single truncated line of a comment seems extremely skimpy and restrictive. Sometimes the whole point is lost if you can only see a few words. Remember seeing comments in V.3 where users posted a palette and the string of patterns they’d made from it? Or where someone would post both palettes from a 2+2=5 challenge? Or where they’d include an inspiring web link… or for that matter, where someone’s thoughtful commentary on color combinations took more than one line to express? These were the kinds of exchanges that encouraged community interaction. If about all you can view of a person’s comment is: “So pretty, I like this a lot.” then what’s the point? Yet that’s about as deep as a comment can get in a singe line. I wish to once again see the entirety of each recent comment.
• Seeing only 10 comments seems extremely limited, and is a quite a reduction of the number of comments displayed in V.3. I’d like to see quite a bit more space dedicated to this function.
• These is no option (as in V.3) to view previous pages of Lovers Peek comments. I’d like that function to be added back in. (The ability to see previous pages of Active Lovers was added back in, in this revision – thank you.)
• The palettes and patterns which are displayed in the Lovers Peek are so small, it’s difficult to get an adequate idea of what they look like. Extremely thin widths in the current Lover Peek palettes disappear. Subtle variations in colors disappear This problem at this size is additionally compounded by the beveled bottom edge effect. I’d like to see those palette/pattern badge sizes increased to at least 200% current size (and re-evaluate the bevel effect at whatever size you arrive upon).
• The grey of the comment text in Lovers Peek against the grey background is difficult to read. It feels like the same contrast that is used elsewhere on the homepage to make unessential information fade into the background. I think the significance of people’s current comments is just the opposite– this is THE important information to me and I’d like to see the comments pop off the page.
I think this aspect of the layout would benefit from a stronger contrast of colors.
• Seeing only the last 5 created palettes, patterns and colors displayed on the homepage is very limited. I understand you have space issues on the homepage and may also include an Active Lovers and Recent Comments (Lovers Peek) sidebar on other pages… This may, or may not restore some of the function I'm missing. (Refer to the Recommendation below.)
• I appreciate being able to see pop-up names on the Avatars. My preference would still be to see names listed, though I suspect many people will be perfectly happy with this implementation (and I’ll be fine if this doesn’t change). I understand there are space considerations, so I’m just registering my preference. I also hope this function will be extended to the Avatars on each person's homepage. :-)

RECOMMENDATION
I’ve inferred from Darius’ comments that a similar sidebar may be added to additional pages. I am assuming this to mean that Lovers Peek (recent comments) and Active Lovers will be added to additional pages– perhaps the New Palettes, New Patterns and New Colors pages? I would find that helpful, so long as the objections I’ve raised are addressed on those pages: displaying full comments, many more than 10 comments, access to previous comments, and increased badge size… but if those features are not addressed, then including the sidebar on those additional pages won’t restore the functionality I’ve been missing. So, CL staff: if you are dealing with space limitations on the homepage AND pages of recently created items which interfere with accommodating all the function included in CLVersion 3, let me suggest a solution that I would be satisfied with:

• Create a separate page dedicated solely to current interaction.
Call it– whatever you like… Active Community Room, Lovers Gathering Spot, etc. but make it a page that is accessible from anywhere within CL by a single click… Display the most recent 20 palettes and the most recent 20 patterns down the left half of the page (the widths you used on the homepage work nicely, just vertically expand number to 20–25) On the right half, display a small section of swatches of new colors. (You can use half the length of the palette/pattern badges. I don’t believe colors need as much space to be previewed - in the space of 3 rows you might fit 15 color swatches.) Active Lovers could be positioned beneath that (keep the ability to navigate through previous groups) with a 1/2 page wide Lovers Peek section beneath that (extending as far down as the palettes and patterns run). (Include navigation to previous pages of comments). This would allow a greater size for palette badges (3/4 size?) and allow room for full content of each comment including html – like in V.3. This is one page where I wouldn’t mind scrolling… oh, and it would be kind of a nice thing if in this one case you targeted the bottom of the page for a full length streamer ad… rather than the top. (I don’t mind marketing at all, but this might be one place where in the interest of restoring the community vibe to current interaction, you might let the content of the page draw users to look all the way to the bottom.) I don’t suggest including recent discussions or active groups or blogs or anything else to this page… links to those ARE found on the homepage, and I’d suggest designing and dedicating this page solely to content that changes minute by minute.

Darius and CL staff, I support your admirable aim of increasing involvement and preparing for greater numbers of individual users. With more than 1000 lovers online right now, the 5 displayed new palettes and 10 displayed single line comments will only exist on the homepage for a few moments. Therefore, the window for community viewing and the potential for interaction is slim. How will that be affected when there are 2000 users online, or 3000? Creating a separate page where a bulk of new work, more active lovers and a longer section containing current comments (in their entirety) can be viewed for an increased length of time would seem to me to be a wise move in preparation for the future… Perhaps dedicating a specific CL page to these purposes alone may give you more freedom to restore full functionality without compromise.
I think it would be nice to have a notification when someone leaves you a comment.
i like the improvements, good job CL team
thank you for fixing the "Show latest followers added by default" issue
You must be logged in to post a comment.