Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Advice & Critiques»Spoonflower template use ,$ - has anyone made it ,where?

Spoonflower template use ,$ - has anyone made it ,where?

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 4 of 4 Comments
When I see beside a creative work ''commercial work is not allowed '' does this mean that no one would download something they have colored to that website for example? I have emailed them , they told me how to download there . I am concerned about using someones template design if commercial isn't allowed . Does anyone know of how to get the credited work cited or simply if this is not allowed? I want to make some money off my work , but not do something dishonest . Has anyone found a sight with contests and free of usage patents ??
if you use someone elses template you cannot make money from it , Sorry.
pamnsc77 I believe you may be confusing different types of intellectual property---primarily patents, trademarks and copyrights.

Most patents are utility meaning they must be for something that does something, like a machine (or software although many now argue it never should have gotten patent protection) but there are plant and design patents as well. The latter are pursued, for example by auto companies seeking design patent protection for the look of their cars. Patents are applied for and issued based on a review of their novelty and what is known as "prior art". They are expensive.

Trademarks are issued for things like logos, short phrases, and even colors (e.g. TMobile magenta) as they pertain to a company, product or brand. They were first conceived to protect the public from sneaky people trying to mimic like appearances of successful products. And for some other reasons. Trademarks must be applied for also.

Copyrights are issued for things like written documents, music, music and film performances, videos, drawings, artwork, photographs, pattern repeats (like templates you ask about) and other works of visual arts. Architecture is a relatively new copyright category.

Copyright protection differs from other intellectual property in that all rights accrue to the creator(s) of the work on completion of the work and whether or not the copyrights are ever registered. Registering copyrights improves your legal position if you should ever have to pursue infringement. All rights remain the copyright holder's (or assigns) for the life of the copyright unless released. How long is the life of a copyright you ask? Issued to know individuals after 1978 they last the life of the creator plus 70 years. Just about everything you find is protected.

You cannot simply find something you like, attribute the work to the creator with a credit and use it legally or, more important, ethically. You must have permission to use the work. I know a couple generations now think if they find something on the internet, it is free game to use however they choose. Not so and a dangerous habit to get into. It is illegal.

Sometimes a copyright holder will release certain rights but with restrictions. Many clip art collections allow unlimited personal use but not for commercial purposes like logos and things. When you buy stock photos you may notice many have different pricing scales depending on whether the image will be used for editorial or commercial/advertising purposes. Sometimes photographers, artists (or the stock companies that represent them) will demand listed or adjacent credits be included with the use of their works.

You can use patterns for commercial purposes so long as you have permission from the creator of the pattern to do so. Granting such permission may or may not include provisions for a flat use fee and or continuing royalty payments. Use assignments may be open ended or for a specific time, edition, etc. You may be granted the right for using something for one purpose but not others (pattern repeat for fabric but not wallpaper, for example). For the sake of all parties, rights assignments should always be specific, spell out their scope, and be in writing.

Now then, when intellectual property expires it becomes "public domain" and is free to use. Sometimes, intellectual property owners will release some or all rights to the public too. At that point, you may use it for commercial purposes. When in doubt, it is best to ask about copyrights in force. If you cannot find out for sure, pick something else.

The Graphic Artists Guild puts out some of the best references discussing basic copyright issues, rights assignments, and royalty payments.
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

paulsky555
paulsky555
BEST Sell Fullz info USA All State
BEST Sell Fullz info With ID Scan DL
BEST Sell Fullz UK + NIN
Telegram: paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555
BEST Sell Fullz UK + NIN
paulsky555
paulsky555
BEST Sell Fullz UK + NIN
paulsky555
paulsky555
1 day ago
GOOD Seller Fullz info ssn dob dl Number
GOOD Seller Fullz info DL photo ( front+back)
GOOD Seller Fullz info UK NIN+DL
paulsky555
paulsky555
1 day ago
GOOD Seller Fullz info ssn dob dl Number
GOOD Seller Fullz info DL photo ( front+back)
GOOD Seller Fullz info UK NIN+DL

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.