Inside out by DisneyPixar: Emotional Hues of COLOURlovers [ infographic ] + Mini Challenge!

Disney•Pixar has outdone themselves (again) in their latest colorfully animated movie, Inside Out, directed by Pete Docter (who also produced UP and Monster’s Inc.) and coming to the big screen on June 19th! The basis of the storyline develops a genuine visual of feelings portrayed in five specific colors that correlate in to emotions.

Who's excited?! I know I am!

In leu of this extremely colorful production being explicitly about color in connection with feelings, we felt it appropriate to dig in to the collections COLOURlovers have in color.

infographic_InsideOut

Image Palette Sources:

evolution_of_fearsManic_Color_Feelingsjoy!_:DAbducted_by_Disgustanger

Much of the community here on COLOURlovers relate their communication of feelings in to colors both as a single color name or in palettes that speak either by the palette name itself and/or a message within the colors used to create the palette. Palettes can be defined of anything regarding 2 to 5 colors grouped together.

Meet the Emotions!

For your entertainment, I love these video clips put together putting the actor-voices to the animated characters.

Disgust:

Fear:

Anger:

Sadness:

Joy:

Learn Basics: How to Create a Color Palette From an Image using PHOTOCOPA

I threw together an under 2-minute quick-guide video to the theme music of Inside Out.

Here's Your Color Challenge! Post YOUR Emotional Colors:

What's your color coordinated emotional palette and why?

Jump in to the COLOURlovers Emotional Colors!

///////// JOY

Happy_YellowJoysign_of_joyJoy_JoyPure_JoyA_Little_JoyBursting_JoyJoy_and_HappynessjoyWild_JoyJoyJoy_*

///////// ANGER
angerangeranger_managementblind_angerpassion_and_angercherry_angerAngerangerAngry_Lobster_BillyAnger!!!blatant_angeranger

///////// FEAR

fear_and_doubtBedtime_FearsFearfear_of_rejectionfears_personified.fearSuffocating_FearPale_Fearfear_of_jealousyblue_fearfearrun_from_fear

///////// SADNESS

or_i_will_be_sadvibrant_sadnessSad_CloudsSad_Little_Bunnytears_of_sadnessyoure_sadsad_saxophoneBlues_is_a_feelinsad_chordSad_bluegonna_be_sadBlue_and_Sad

///////// DISGUST

DisgustingdisgustedDisgustingDisgustdisgustDisgustingdisgustingDisgustingly_BriteYear_of_DisgustDisgusting_Sightutter_disgustDISGUSTING_GREENDisgustEnvyDisgustDisgust_MossDisgusting_Life

You accidentally put the "Happy Mother's Day (Inside Out)" video under "anger" and "Meet Disgust" under "sadness."

Anyway, I kind of wanted to see this movie because the premise sounds interesting. Now, that I know they have Lewis Black as anger, I want to see it even more because 1) I remember him being funny and 2) anyone whose seen his stand up knows he's very good at playing/being angry.

The mini-challenge sounds like fun.
I am not sure what your screen is doing to you because all the video's show up in the appropriate spots on my screen. :)

I'd love to see you participate in the challenge.

This movie reminds me how excited I was to see Nemo and Monster's Inc. back in the day. Perhaps because I have little kids and deal with many ranges of immediate emotions on any given second of the day.... oooorrrr.... maybe that's just an excuse hah.

It certainly looks fun!

Lovely Lakes wrote:

The mini-challenge sounds like fun.
Yeah, I don't know why the videos are repeating instead of showing them in order for me. Computers can be weird sometimes. I remember liking Monsters Inc. & Nemo when I was younger. I like the Incredibles too. Nothing's wrong with liking a well-done family movie/show. You don't have to make excuses.
Edit: The vids seem to be in order on my computer now.

I'd love to see you participate in the challenge.

It certainly looks fun!

Lovely Lakes wrote:

The mini-challenge sounds like fun.
My palettes for the mini-challenge:
Happiness_In_A_Cup
Afraid_of_Life
Tears_of_The_Night
An_Attack_of_Emotion
You_Disgust_Me!
Afraid_Sad_Angry
Flaming_Anger
My colors:
Gross_Fungus_Mucus
Teary_Eyed_Moon
Raging_Heads
Ick_Town
Lovely Lakes awesome thanks for getting this started! :) I will put mine together tomorrow. :)

also glad the vids are in order!! :)
I was initiated to the "Show, don't tell" rule at a early age, probably 9 or 10, and made it mine to the point that very few of my creations directly refer to a specific emotion. The most notable execption is probably my seven stages of grief series, which also includes anger:
a_n_g_e_r
love it! @falun red :)
I am SO excited for this movie. Pixar has never disappointed me yet, so I have high expectations :D

The_Warm_and_FuzziesSeeing_Red
ShriekingTears_for_Days
Ewwwww!
loving these! and their fun titles!

sec9586 wrote:

The_Warm_and_FuzziesSeeing_Red
ShriekingTears_for_Days
Ewwwww!
awsome! i love 'inside out'... but i dont whath de movie )-:
the video of use the photocopa is realy cool! thanks team for COLOURlovers!!! my favorite pattern isof ''joy''
this ismy creations:
vino
swetti_belle_magic

cold_day

flower_sparkle_sun
by: flower star mlp
(-:
Here's my inspirational pattern for this movie :) Was fun to do ! :)

Bad_Temper

Melancholic_thoughts

Repulsive_case

Creeps

Everyday_Wonders
here are my palettes for the movie :-D
*Fear_Nerve*
*Anger_Firebrick*
*Joy_Star*
*Disgust_Broccoli*
*Sadness_Teardrops*
I love to see all the different types of palette personalities! not only in the colors and titles, but in how everyone tends to use the layouts of widths :) great job everyone!
A pair:
Blind_Rage
Joy_and_Happiness
Mixed_Emotions
I love the subtle pink vs. red hues and some purple with black... interesting... love it
ginnysister wrote:
Mixed_Emotions
and so they are... you gotta have both to be a passionate person right?!
Ifihadapaintcan wrote:
A pair:
Blind_Rage
Joy_and_Happiness
You've done it again Molly... Another fantastic Blog! Thanks for inspiring us!!! :oD
I am totally up for this challenge!

Joy_Peace

heat_of_the_momentBrief_Mania
You_Disgust_MeSad_Times
Anger_Withinfear_and_loathing
Oh my goodness, I am SO EXCITED for this movie!
Super!!!!
Seahorse Girl wrote:
I am totally up for this challenge!

Joy_Peace

heat_of_the_momentBrief_Mania
You_Disgust_MeSad_Times
Anger_Withinfear_and_loathing
what a fun challenge. I think I have learned more about myself going through my colors than what I perceived about who I am. i over 5800 colors and over 6000 palettes and I have one color out of all those with the word mad. I have no colors with angry. No colors with sad. I have many colors with the happy and surprisingly yellow was the predominant color ( I assume because many of them have happy face and smiles names...I assoc yellow with the smiley face). I have several palettes with the word mad but only three of them are associated with a feeling. Most of them refer to march madness, mad hatter, and it's a mad world. Apparently anger does not come out in naming rights....or my level or lack there of creativity. That surprised me as I often feel angry and mad....at least on the term of the last few years and interim short. But over all my life has not had much sadness or mad emotion associated with it. I guess maybe to sum it up I regress to a happy place using colour lovers....and it truly is a safe haven to me.....who would have thought it. I certainly was surprised.
Here is an example of my happy colors.
Sunshine_Happy

This was my only color with anger in the name, It refers to the ocean as opposed to a mood of me.
angry_ocean

I had no colours with mad, sad, hate. etc. I have a preconceived idea of what emotion I assoc with colors and I guess I will do a fresh palette for those to post.
preconceived idea of color / mood representation
The_peace_within
sadness

fear
anger

happy
Sunshine_Happy
depression
So interesting to listen to this! :)
glindathegoodwitch wrote:
Here is an example of my happy colors.
Sunshine_Happy

angry_ocean

and great turnout!
glindathegoodwitch wrote:
preconceived idea of color / mood representation
The_peace_within
sadness

fear
anger

happy
Sunshine_Happy
depression
I'm wanting to see it for Mindy Kaling, Bill Hader and Amy Poehler. This movie seems tailor made for colourlovers! Thanks for another great post Molly, I love the way you matched palettes to each of the characters. Here are my top three "happy" palettes (with a bonus dragon for your amusement:)

Happy_Little_Dragon
Happy_Just_To_Dance
J_o_y_f_u_l_*
Luna Rosa wrote:

Happy_Little_Dragon
Happy_Just_To_Dance
J_o_y_f_u_l_*

Amy Poehler is going to be make an excellent Joy, but I'm not that familiar with Bill Hader or Mindy. Anyway, I love the palettes. There's a palette blend I made using two of your happy palettes:
J_o_y_f_u_l_*
Happy_Just_To_Dance
=
A_Smiling_Moon

Sincerely, Lovely.

Edit: I also made this using your other happy palette:
In_Love_With_Life
These are my palettes :)

InseguridadesAtrapadaNi_Aunque_QuisieraFelicidad_AmarillaEfervescente

Lou ♥
Two purple palettes

Thread_Shed_013

Perfectly_Purple
And a green palette:
Eat_Your_Greens
Specifically created for this mini challenge
Pixar_Disgust_Green