COLOURlovers on YouTube: Pattern Design in Seamless Lite and Other Great Stuff!

COLOURlovers on YouTube: Pattern Design in Seamless Lite and Other Great Stuff!

Seamless Lite at COLOURlovers is something many people shy away from, but hopefully after some inspiring short video clips, most of you will start to gain some perspective on how to get a design you're proud of. Check out our YouTube Channel!

While the bulk of the video's I've been preparing are centered around using Seamless Lite, there are the intro video's to palette making and I will add more fun abstract videos weekly.

After my 8-minute intro video regarding more details on the Line Tool itself, I have added a collection of video's in high-speed of certain design styles to show you the process. You will hopefully learn how to layer for dimension and layering to create visual tricks. Overall just using what we have available in Seamless Lite is not as limiting or as complicated as you might think.

channel

I want to point out some further resources that I personally tend to lean on for getting inspiration on what to draw exactly. I find if I just plop myself in front of Seamless Lite I feel vacant and suddenly all those idea's I had are not there and I draw a blank. Viable search terms include:Quilt block design (key to put "quilt block"), embroidery patterns (be sure to include the "patterns" part of this search as you'll get step by step instructions) and then, Zentangle Patterns and/or Zentangle Tutorials to get you more specific guides.

Look at each topic matter and you'll start to notice a design style you like. If you love geometric bold patterns, Quilt Block Designs are your go-to. If you love the organic artistic design style, both Embroidery and Zentangle are a great start.

seamlesslite_inspiration1

You can find these and more, on my Seamless Lite - Inspiration Guide (on Pinterest).

Check out this example of following a step-by-step Zentangle pattern, essentially just taking Zentangle to Seamless Lite! Most of them are doable!

Cool right?! Now let's look at some COLOURlovers Seamless Lite video's I recently made.

A Detailed Look at the Line Tool:

Making Leaf & Stem (with leaves):

High Speed Pattern Design (start to finish):

Folk Art Shape-Building & Pattern Layout

The biggest thing I want to emphasize in this video is the process of wisely using your time. If you're like me and you don't have 8-hours to sit around making a pattern, split up your time by developing core Custom Shapes and design elements then later coming back to work on your design layout. You'll thank me later when you can easily go in to your shape library with a fresh frame of mind when it comes to the pattern layouts.

Adding Emphasis to Shapes

I hope you enjoy the quick bits to music. They are much faster to watch as patterns come together. I hope it's helpful!

Inspiring Templates Made in Seamless Lite:

FlowerbedPareitoDot_ChainMinglingSatirGardener_of_SkyEvery_Which_WayTake_a_SpinPushing_Pushingprax.122

Header Source:

Chevronic

Nice post Molly. huege sometimes uses Seamless Lite too. These are coloured by others :)
Thanks, Molly, for this post, this information. I look forward to trying this out and making
more interesting templates! I'm so glad you put all these videos and links!
Sure! :) I think truly some of those step by step Zentangles could really help someone learn more specific design concepts! :)

Ifihadapaintcan wrote:
more interesting templates! I'm so glad you put all these videos and links!
Very cool! I wish it was easier to filter Lite to Studio.... it's time consuming trying to find SL ONLY patterns :)

huege wrote:
I really appreciate all the effort you're putting into our community Molly, thank you ever so much:)
We can do a search of templates made before Seamless Studio was available. This excludes any template made with Seamless Lite since then, but it does show some amazing examples of what can be made with Seamless Lite.

huege wrote:
Zentangle is my jam. I do it alllll the time.
Eye_CrosserScallops
love those!

sec9586 wrote:
Zentangle is my jam. I do it alllll the time.
Eye_CrosserScallops
very cool! perhaps I wasn't using my noggin when I just wanted to quickly find some! thanks for the input and link huege!
huege wrote:

huege wrote:
totally! :) thanks for appreciating.... it goes a long way and makes a big difference to hear it.
Luna Rosa wrote:
Thank you for this post this is great :)
sure!
carocannibale wrote:
Thank you for this post this is great :)
Using a combination of three videos (flat shapes, folk art, and lines) I came up with the idea for this template: Butterfly_Stylized
Thanks for the help!
YAY!!! thanks for telling me specifically that you watched and used the videos. It's ONLY motivating to keep doing them if they are actually being utilized!

Terrific job!!
On your next template.... play around with rotating the main object diagonal to the playing field to give it a different view. This is really lovely! Just giving you an extra note to break from a horizontal pattern when you want to give it a different look. :)

I'm so pleased that you are using the video's! :)

Fly_My_Dolly_Girl

Ifihadapaintcan wrote:
Thanks for the help!
Molly, I like the music you chose :) Your folk art pattern inspired this:
Boulevard_Bully

Something really weird happened when I saved it. It was a five colour template in Seamless Lite, but when saved, the background became white, and it can't be coloured. Throw a five colour palette at it and only 4 of the colours stick!!
Huege - weird I wonder why it's doing that?

Thanks on the music! I bounce around on what to pick lol :) since our videos don't have any corporate identity I just go with works. :D
at least