Warm & Familiar: The Shades of Autumn

Warm & Familiar: The Shades of Autumn

The fall season is second to none. There's something about the crisp breezes brushing against my cheeks and the leaves crunching underneath my feet that are familiar. A reminder of how refreshing and beautiful this variegated transition from the dog days of summer into the tranquility of winter can be.

With so many memories--new and old--conjured in the presence of autumn, I find myself flooded by their warmth and comfort, as well as their adventure and intrigue.

Waking up in the mornings to family time in the backyard. What I then considered chores were actually chances for my family and I to bask in the company of love and fun. Raking leaves was more than work; it was us versus them in strategic, yet friendly Backyardigan turf wars.

Source: fall..it is. by Lisa Morrow

BackyardFallHaven

Afternoons became strolls through fields of wild grapes with neighborhood kids--all of us seeing who could succeed at spoiling dinner by eating far too many of the fruiting berries. Perhaps this is where my love of wine came to blossom?

Source: Fall Grapes by Spencer Graham

FallViticulture

More recently, I discovered a neighbor's love of the changing leaves. While enjoying a park day, we found ourselves lying underneath a sea of red. No words being spoken, just the appreciation of good company and colorful scenery.

Source: Fall Colors, East TN by lu2shoot

FallPassion

Then there's food. I'm sure you'd agree that the food of fall is unparalleled. As a kid, I'd sit around with my grandmother eating baked sweet potatoes adorned with butter and brown sugar. Now, those were the days. Over the past few years, my friends and I have modified that tradition and created our own dishes, as well as memories. Who could say no to sweet potato gnocchi, right?

Source: Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Chanterelles & Sage by Danielle Tsi

SweetPotatoLove

Here's an oldie, but goodie we can all relate to--cocoa in front of the fireplace. I have memory after memory with everyone from friends to family to strangers all enjoying the familiarity of knowing that cocoa makes everything that much better.

Source: coffee cup by Moyan Brenn

CoffeeWarmth

I could go on and on with images that epitomize memories I've amassed as each autumn season has come and gone; however, I'd like to hear from you. What does fall mean to you and what are some of the wonderful memories you've created over the years?

Header image: Fall leaves by FreeRishad

I love autumn. My favourite season.
Beautiful season.Park alleys are turning into sea of colours.Leaves are falling softly as flying butterflies and the lonely benches awaiting for a passing couple in love to take a sit and canoodle under the rain.Fall surely brings melancholy and old memories with it but sharing evenings with good friends in front of the fire makes new lovely ones.
Rainy_Butterflies

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAutumnal_Necklace

Passion_of_AutumnPassion_of_Autumn
Legends_of_FallLegends_of_Fall
Awe, all of the fall colors and photos posted really make me miss my home state of Tennessee, especially East Tn. Living in Dallas, Texas with the heat as it has been , there are few changes in our leaves. Miss the smell as well of Autumn.
Thanks for this post.
It's quite exquisite, ShockingHeaven. Definitely in my top two. We can't leave spring out of the mix. :D

ShockingHeaven wrote:
I love autumn. My favourite season.
I've seen TN in the fall, modernmuse. It is a gorgeous place. Being from GA, I can definitely relate.

modernmuse wrote:
Thanks for this post.
Yes to all of those, albenaj. Also, thanks for sharing the great color palettes.
albenaj wrote:
Rainy_Butterflies

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAutumnal_Necklace

Passion_of_AutumnPassion_of_Autumn
Legends_of_FallLegends_of_Fall
A couple of autumn-themed paletts from me.
Autumn_|_APC

Autumn, by Bob Ross
Autumn_Berries

I'm in Malaysia now but I do remember and miss the autumn from my childhood in the US. Great memories indeed :) Thanks for the blog post. Those are very enchanting images indeed
Actually, I do. I find spring really annoying.
levarbattle wrote:

ShockingHeaven wrote:
I love autumn. My favourite season.
Haha. That's fair.

ShockingHeaven wrote:
Actually, I do. I find spring really annoying.
levarbattle wrote:

ShockingHeaven wrote:
I love autumn. My favourite season.
Nice colors. Thanks for sharing AlexandraTheGreat410.

AlexandraTheGreat410 wrote:
Thanks, shahrizat77. I hope you're enjoying yourself in Malasia.

shahrizat77 wrote:
A couple of autumn-themed paletts from me.
Autumn_|_APC

Autumn, by Bob Ross
Autumn_Berries

The CoffeeWarmth Palette looks good!
I made these earlier as a tribute to fall, nice article and comments! :)

Fall_Series_(1)Fall_Series_(2)Fall_Series_(3)Fall_Series_(4)Fall_Series_(5)Fall_Series_(6)Fall_Series_(7)Fall_Series_(8)Fall_Series_(9)