Welcome to our wedding color community. Here you'll find the latest wedding-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your special day.

Channels»Wedding»Forums»Wedding»I Hue»divorce parties: for or against?

Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

divorce parties: for or against?

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 14 of 14 Comments

speakin_colors

Divorce parties became popular after actress Shanna Moakler gave one in Las Vegas in November 2006. The now-infamous divorce cake featured a shocking design: a bloody groom and a blonde, knife-wielding bride. Whereas for some people a divorce represents a traumatic experience, for some others, it can turn into a colourful, funny celebration with a cathartic effect.
What's your opinion then: for or against divorce parties?

StormGirl

neither for or against them
If this is what someone needs to move on then they should.
IMO personal opinion, neither a right or a wrong one..
If the man I am divorcing throws himself a party, well then, no explanation needed as to why Im done with the immature, cold hearted, self centred jerk.
If the failure of our commitment , and broken bond is something to celebrate, whatever floats his boat, and my condolence to the next poor woman that cares something for him.

Although if a few sombre drinks, a gathering of trusted supportive friends, and a night of reflection would probably do us both the world of good.
If that means a few isolated laughs, that can be good for the soul also...
...but a celebration... thats more a reflection of maturity ( lack of it ) than taste.

speakin_colors

StormGirl wrote:
If the man I am divorcing throws himself a party, well then, no explanation needed as to why Im done with the immature, cold hearted, self centred jerk.

Haha! ;-)

idesigner

It depends on the circumstances. If the divorce was inevitable and yet you did nothing wrong in the relationship, then you should "celebrate" or do anything that will make the transition better and easier to deal with. It doesn't have to be tasteless or harmful to the other person. If you're celebrating that you get to be with the next runner up on your list of potential partners then you might need to get your head examined.
I like the idea of trashing a wedding dress and having a photoshoot. It just seems cold and heartless, much like divorce. That can give someone some type of closure I would think, and it is something that is a part of their lives whether they had a choice in the matter or not (broken vows , etc)

splendidsplenda

I am against it, I mean, marriages are supposed to be happy!

Roland36117

HELL YEAH I SUPPORT THEM! MY MOM THREW ONE. SO I SUPPORT THEM 100%

mandapannts

I'm neither for or against, but I just look at it this way: if one breaks up with their boy/girlfriend and they're happy enough to celebrate with their friends, there probably wasn't much going on between the couple in the first place. the same is true in a marriage, in my opinion.

if my husband and I were to divorce, I think it would be a somber thing for both of us, no matter the circumstances. we have been in love for the better part of a decade and have been through so much together that even if we drifted apart, I doubt we'd ever celebrate our separation. our relationship has been too meaningful.

rnangel907

Definitely FOR. It is part of the therapeutic process and keeps you connected to your primary support system. Additionally, it symbolizes the progression of mourning the loss of a significant relationship and makes the statement "I'm OK, i'll be OK and no I can move on from this place". Put simply, it is a way to convey the statement that you are ready to move forward and allows you to reach out and accept the support of those who love you and will stick by you on your journey.

ZUBEAJAY

rnangel907 wrote:
Definitely FOR. It is part of the therapeutic process and keeps you connected to your primary support system. Additionally, it symbolizes the progression of mourning the loss of a significant relationship and makes the statement "I'm OK, i'll be OK and no I can move on from this place". Put simply, it is a way to convey the statement that you are ready to move forward and allows you to reach out and accept the support of those who love you and will stick by you on your journey.

ZUBEAJAY

you expressed it so beautifully ! you are very wise.

jennyling

Don't know if I like divorce parties - hope I never have to decide anyway, or am I too romantic? I think I am against it, I mean economically it might bring some more money to an enterprise (new branch emerging here?) but morally speaking I do not know...

heartholder143

hard call- if they are done with a few supporting friends, and done with the right frame of mind, it is understandable. It is cheaper than therapy, but i also think they have been glamorized, and many people market it "fun" of it to make money. People like Shanna Moakler do not have to worry about the results of a divorce, $$$$ helps you get over things faster in a temporary way. Maybe the divorce party should be done in wedding style but reversed.

belamour

I truly believe it depends on the circumstances surrounding the divorce... My mother threw one for herself when my parents divorced. But my father was an extremely abusive drunken drug addict and when we attempted to leave him I was held hostage at knifepoint. I was only 5 years old at the time and that was 31 years ago but you can believe that I remember every single terifying second of that last day in our apartment in chicago... right down to pattern of the wallpaper, the cops negotiating outside our door on the porch, and only being able to stuff 1 toy and a few items of clothing into a shopping bag to leave.
It took over a year for my mother's divorce to become final and after all the hell she went through for the 9 years she was married to that demon before we fleed she deserved that party.

anniebeth

The cake is really beautiful !!!
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

Padmaraga
Padmaraga
Posted 2 minutes ago
Reserving, please . . .
Trixxie
Trixxie
Posted 5 minutes ago
Reserved!
EmilyR
EmilyR
Posted 7 minutes ago
Go_Away
+
No_Ones_Light
=
Get_Out_of_My_Light
Trixxie
Trixxie
Posted 37 minutes ago
BABABA
paintglass
paintglass
Posted 4 hours ago
It appears to me that I am being "punked" or something. I keep getting "loves" on shapes or patterns from fake profiles with jibberish
profile information. Can I block or remove these???

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Wedding Colors

//View More ›

Latest Wedding Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Wedding Patterns

//View More ›