Welcome to our web color community. Here you'll find the latest web-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your next web design project.

Channels»Web»Forums»Web»Pixel Perfect Colors»Finding "related" colors?

Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Finding "related" colors?

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 9 of 9 Comments

egarrulo

How do you find colors "related" to a given one? I've quoted "related" because I've used it in a special meaning I don't know the proper term for.

Let me explain. Suppose you have the bluish RGB color "#002b36": what would this color be if it were greenish, reddish, etc instead of bluish? How is such relationship among colors called? Is there a way to calculate such "related" colors? Should I convert the RGB encoding to something else, first?

I've tried permutating the R, G and B values, but that does not seem to be a solution.

Thank you.

katheyjoseph

Same thing here. I would like to know how it's done.

retell

Play with the color wheel, or try f.ex. colorhexa.com

Just Perfect Color

RGB is usually expressed with three values of primary transmitted colors: R(Magenta), G(Green) and B(Blue). These are the typical colors of the guns in televisions and monitors although some now add Y(Yellow).

Reflected color primaries are Yellow, Red and Blue. In the print world process colors, are C(Cyan), Y(Yellow), M(Magenta) and B(Black). In process color printing other hues are made by overlapping tiny dots of the process colors in different strengths. In the "olden days" we used to specify "flat ink" colors for things other than photos and these were actually ink formulas made from real pigments that delivered really rich colors hard to achieve with process color.

As suggested, a color wheel is a great start in learning basic color relationships. A good color exploration software package will be helpful as well. I have used Color Impact from Tiger Color for ages. I think the trial is still free and a license is $40-50 US. It allows you to build custom color wheels and has all kinds of blending tools and samplers.

There are other color scheme packages in the same range or even free or cheap phone apps now. Good ones will kick out or translate color codes like RGB, CMYK, or hexidecimal.

There are a number of excellent color introduction books that explain color relationships as well. Look for one that covers transmitted and reflected color. Your library may have some to explore.

The Munsell color system is still widely used to communicate about color and it arranges hues in a global arrangement. You can search online for primers on it.

arpitasen991

I am also finding related color of pink
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

clearcreek6
clearcreek6
Posted 10 hours ago
Milk_Cookies
Next: Buttermilk Icing
clearcreek6
clearcreek6
Posted 10 hours ago
Watermelon_Patch

Bottle_of_Poison
G4wow
G4wow
Posted 1 day ago
I've had the amusement out for individuals for about a year or thereabouts, just for g4wow Outland gold g4wow.com get their musings on the littlest things. Like how can it grope picking and dropping weapons? A considerable measure of the criticism was that it felt kind of cumbersome, grabbing and dropping things, and despite the fact that I burned through two months dealing with that framework, I wound up rejecting it. It simply wasn't adding for wow Outland gold the get and-play, natural feel that I'm searching for."
WendyAndBuster
WendyAndBuster
Posted 1 day ago
pay_day.
+
end_of_the_day.
=
life_passes_by.
WendyAndBuster
WendyAndBuster
Posted 1 day ago
money_talks.