Welcome to our web color community. Here you'll find the latest web-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your next web design project.

Channels»Web»Forums»Web»Pixel Perfect Colors»Finding "related" colors?

Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Finding "related" colors?

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 9 of 9 Comments

egarrulo

How do you find colors "related" to a given one? I've quoted "related" because I've used it in a special meaning I don't know the proper term for.

Let me explain. Suppose you have the bluish RGB color "#002b36": what would this color be if it were greenish, reddish, etc instead of bluish? How is such relationship among colors called? Is there a way to calculate such "related" colors? Should I convert the RGB encoding to something else, first?

I've tried permutating the R, G and B values, but that does not seem to be a solution.

Thank you.

katheyjoseph

Same thing here. I would like to know how it's done.

retell

Play with the color wheel, or try f.ex. colorhexa.com

Just Perfect Color

RGB is usually expressed with three values of primary transmitted colors: R(Magenta), G(Green) and B(Blue). These are the typical colors of the guns in televisions and monitors although some now add Y(Yellow).

Reflected color primaries are Yellow, Red and Blue. In the print world process colors, are C(Cyan), Y(Yellow), M(Magenta) and B(Black). In process color printing other hues are made by overlapping tiny dots of the process colors in different strengths. In the "olden days" we used to specify "flat ink" colors for things other than photos and these were actually ink formulas made from real pigments that delivered really rich colors hard to achieve with process color.

As suggested, a color wheel is a great start in learning basic color relationships. A good color exploration software package will be helpful as well. I have used Color Impact from Tiger Color for ages. I think the trial is still free and a license is $40-50 US. It allows you to build custom color wheels and has all kinds of blending tools and samplers.

There are other color scheme packages in the same range or even free or cheap phone apps now. Good ones will kick out or translate color codes like RGB, CMYK, or hexidecimal.

There are a number of excellent color introduction books that explain color relationships as well. Look for one that covers transmitted and reflected color. Your library may have some to explore.

The Munsell color system is still widely used to communicate about color and it arranges hues in a global arrangement. You can search online for primers on it.

DeslynBrown

One website I use frequently is encycolorpedia.com. You might want to input your color there and then check out the pentadic or hexadic sections. This will give you different colors all around the color wheel that complement the original color in some way, and each color is of the exact same saturation and lightness levels, which is what I believe you're looking for. You would want to alter the "S" and "V", but not the "H". Here is an example of the color you gave here:

http://i59.tinypic.com/oa67g4.jpg

OrigamiMei

That website is brilliant, Deslyn! Thank you for sharing it with us.

DeslynBrown wrote:
One website I use frequently is encycolorpedia.com. You might want to input your color there and then check out the pentadic or hexadic sections. This will give you different colors all around the color wheel that complement the original color in some way, and each color is of the exact same saturation and lightness levels, which is what I believe you're looking for. You would want to alter the "S" and "V", but not the "H". Here is an example of the color you gave here:

http://i59.tinypic.com/oa67g4.jpg

saigan

I suggest you app. of COLOR HEX for finding related colors in nature and photoes for mobile phone. go to

estjohn

To find related colours i use http://www.colorschemer.com/ Studio2

It has a wheel. you can enter hex info and then look for opposing colours

i the example shown, the pink outer one is the one i chose. i can see related colo9urs all on the outside wheel colours.

arpitasen991

I am also finding related color of pink
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

DarkBlueMe4Ever
DarkBlueMe4Ever
Posted
reserve

DarkBlueMe4Ever
DarkBlueMe4Ever
Posted
Crumbled_Jellied

Swirled_Jelly

NEXT WORD:: ZOOLOGY
WendyAndBuster