Welcome to our web color community. Here you'll find the latest web-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your next web design project.

Channels»Web»Blog
Creative Guide on COLOURlovers: Basic Palette Making

Creative Guide on COLOURlovers: Basic Palette Making

We are starting a video guide series for Creating on COLOURlovers. It will include tutorials, community tips and the overall in and out of being a member here in the community. I look forward to emphasizing the creation tools we have available to us and am adding many tips and tricks to each tutorial to get the best out of these controls.

The community itself has gathered together to create an Un-Official FAQ Group: Sharing the Love. This is a highly organized section of FAQ's, tips and Q&A for all things COLOURloving here on the site. Keep in mind, it was opened and has been managed since 2007, so some information might be a tad out of date, but overall, it looks to be fairly on track with the current tools.

COMING SOON! In addition to the video tutorials I am working hard to compile the Unofficial FAQ Group in to a downloadable PDF (and I will publish it with iBooks). I do not have an ETA at this point in time.

book_comingsoon

It is my hope that this downloadable guide will broaden the creative skills some of the members want and need and open up doors for quicker creating when we get new members. The FAQ Group was really well put together by some very dedicated COLOURlovers Members and highly organized, giving me a great base to work with. I am working to add extra visuals, diagrams, a linkable chapter head and index and the PDF will also allow searchable content. All sources and authors will be attributed in the final copy. The cover art is not final.

Please enjoy this first Creating on COLOURlovers video covering the BASIC PALETTE MAKER. Click the link and follow along!

In the video, I go over in detail, how exactly each part is essential to Color Mixing:

• HEX code (not only what this is, but how to use it to gauge your color purity)
  • What is RGB (Red, Green and Blue)?
  • What is HSV (Hue, Saturation and Value) - This will be your most impactful piece of color mixing, get some basic tips on using these!
  • The Large Color Mixer (big square) - How to control your use with picking colors.

Learning about these essential features and how to control your use with them will ideally make your palettes more beautiful, and you should feel more confident about this. While perusing the palettes on COLOURlovers you will definitely notice a dramatic difference in those who create really outstanding palettes versus those who don't seem to have a rhyme or reason to it.

Get some great Palette Inspiration from some COLOURlovers Members:

I want to first highlight COLOURlover's member, ellona (Color lovin' since December 14, 2013) for some excellent palettes using the Basic Palette Maker. Here is a small selection of fabulous work. Once you understand the Color Mixer, you can create like this:

heart--------*_*_*_*_*_*-*

More terrific palette makers:

Get some inspiration on style and color usage through their palette galleries. Some have been here a long time, some only a couple years down to a couple months. I simply chose a variety of members with a broad sense of palette making skill.

If you want more information on Hex (hexadecimal) HTML code, go here.

A quick diagram: The Basic Palette Maker on COLOURlovers is made up of three sections: The Art Board, The Color Mixers (aka the Laboratory) and the Palette Details.

basicpalettemaker

I think the biggest misconception to using the Basic Palette Maker is that you might feel limited to making beautiful content, however, listen and watch through the section of the video on the Color Mixers and learn how to be more advanced in using these tools. Using this tool is like taking a preliminary art class, while you might want to rush through it, it is essential to understanding the color mixing panel.

Remember, you can currently rely on much more information on this section here in the Un-Official FAQ Group: Sharing the Love. Please bear in mind, this groups was opened up in the year, 2007. This means that some of the FAQ and tutorial items may not be 100% up-to-date with the creation tool you're looking at. While I will be updating the PDF Guide to reflect what is current here in 2015, this is a great starting point. Many members have been very happy to help with detailed questions as well.

Remember this COLOURlovers Community Book?

A Book of Color Inspirations: 3,000 Innovative Palettes from the COLOURlovers Community

More Palette Inspiration! I'd love to see your work in the comments!

Guesssequin_dreamGreatest_Discoverya_cuca_tarsilaloudPhoenix_is_RebornGreatest_DiscoveryFall_To_WinterThe_Mangle_REDONESpell*_*_*_*_*_*-

falun red

Great video! I'm so looking forward the rest of the series! ^^ Also, congrats to the featuered fellow CLers, you deserve it! ^^

mollybermea

Thank you! It was a bit longer than I originally wanted to publish for a first one, but I felt I was more able to cover more content mostly surrounding how to masterfully use the color mixers aside from just picking around randomly. :)

falun red wrote:

mollybermea

Loving these! great coloring and titles!
Im_afraid_I_forgotwe_may_have_metwe_may_have_met

Luna Rosa

I'm so excited about these tutorials (and the eventual book). I may have been here a little while now but I always find there is something to learn by looking at things from another person's perspective.

I love the terminology you use in the video Molly, particularly referring to people's palette "galleries," as this is often exactly what I feel like I'm doing when I "take a stroll" through another lover's creations. I also love your description of "rabbit holes," each with their own little wonderland to explore.

If I may add something here, it's always good to remember to love along the way. The same when you create something - I always make sure to love every colour I use in a palette and every template I use in a pattern. Of course I'm not saying everyone has to do this but I find it's a nice way of acknowledging other lovers, whose existing creations helped make your new one possible.

Thankyou again for your great work Molly - long live the colourlovers renaissance!

Lovely Lakes

I'm glad you're doing tutorials. It's a good chance for people (new and old) to learn about all the different possibilities when using the palette/pattern/etc. makers. I wish we had these when I started out. Also, is there going to be a tutorial for templates and shapes?

mollybermea

thanks for your excellent comments!

I am doing a completely separate video on the COLOURlovers Experience - more so, Loving, Faving, using badges in more detail etc. I mainly wanted to touch on the profile page basics.

Luna Rosa wrote:

mollybermea

I am working on Template Making as we "speak" ;)

Sadly there is no support for Seamless Studio so we can't promote it (at this time) so I will be doing them with Seamless Lite (only at this time) - which is a bit more challenging, but will hopefully shed some light on Template Making. :)

I will say, it takes a LOT of patience!

Lovely Lakes wrote:

Seahorse Girl

Great Blog, Molly! I was excited to see the tutorials on here, especially on palette making, and I am looking forward to the Creative Guide! Perhaps there should even be a sub-guide in there for tips for being more creative. Just a thought! There are several palette games in the Forum, in "Showcase Your Work", that may spark some creativity. And of course groups you can join to be inspired by more focused or themed palettes to enhance one's color sense. I oftentimes use Photocopa, myself to gain inspiration from images and to experiment with different widths.

I can't wait for the Template Making Blog. I have tried a stab at it, and I agree with you, Molly, that it does take alot of patience. But it is worth with when you come up with a beautiful template that you love to color and others love too. :o)

Luna Rosa

Excellent! I must say, there is so much to talk about with this website that you have a massive task ahead of you covering all the elements but, if this video is anything to go by, you'll no doubt do a splendid job:)

sec9586

Awesome vid :D

Looking forward to the new tutorials!

mollybermea

YES! that it is massive, but I have a fairly good layout of it and how to go about it to try to streamline it. getting through the first few video's is more task heavy as I am going over some of the color tools and adding color theory in there. :)

The shapes and pattern templates is going to be the biggest work yet, as I need to brush up and be really patient! LOL I'd love to just load SVG's and be done with it! ;)

Seamless Lite while daunting for patience and control of design aspects, is still quite cool.

Luna Rosa wrote:

mollybermea

haha! I love the enthusiasm... let's start with phase one, it's big enough. ;)

I'll be covering many ways to being creative and thinking outside the box on most of my video's. The guide itself will dive a bit in to groups and games in the forums as well.

I plan to release some video's on some of the groups and forums games too. All in good time. If I had endless hours, then that's another story :D

Seahorse Girl wrote:

mollybermea

ahhh I keep remembering your awesome plaid tutorial... digging for it. I think we did that with Seamless Studio though right?
sec9586 wrote:
Awesome vid :D

Looking forward to the new tutorials!

sec9586

We did, but the shapes were just lines, there's no reason why a plaid couldn't be made in Seamless Lite. I've made most of my other simpler plaids in Lite :).

sec9586 wrote:
Awesome vid :D

Looking forward to the new tutorials!

mollybermea

I know but I loved that it was eye-opening to see how simply layering lines, made a dramatic effect when color was added! :) good times. I'll be using that method to showcase that in the video's. :D

sec9586 wrote:

sec9586 wrote:
Awesome vid :D

Looking forward to the new tutorials!

sec9586

Absolutely! :D

sec9586 wrote:

sec9586 wrote:
Awesome vid :D

Looking forward to the new tutorials!

faith4faith

Great resource for new members!!

dss358

Molly, you're my hero!!!

mollybermea

Hi Everyone! The second video series for palette making is now available, Check it out in this post Advanced Palette Making :) video is at the bottom of the post. :) Hope you're enjoying!

arlenebea

I just want to say thanks for this well work.