Welcome to our web color community. Here you'll find the latest web-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your next web design project.

Channels»Web»Blog
Seamless Lite New Features: Custom Shapes & Shape Galleries (How-To)

Seamless Lite New Features: Custom Shapes & Shape Galleries (How-To)

COLOURlovers spend countless hours creating amazing Patten Templates using Seamless Lite. Today, we are happy to announce some amazing new feature updates to the in-site seamless pattern design process.

Along with the new features, Seamless Lite has been given some big love and a smoother, speedier designing experience should be noticeable.

How-To: Custom Shapes + Shape Gallery from COLOURlovers on Vimeo.

How-To: Custom Shapes + Shape Gallery

"Save as Shape" Tool

You can now save individual elements using the newly installed “Save as Shape” tool. This will allow you to keep those wonderfully complicated design elements you have been creating for a single Pattern Template. Only NOW, you can re-use those awesome pieces in any number of Pattern Template variation by using, “My Shapes” located in your Shapes Library on Seamless Lite (when you are logged in).

How To Use "Save as Shape"

In Seamless Lite, create a shape from multiple shapes using the preexisting shapes in the Shape Library. Select all layers that make up this custom shape. No need to group these either, when you save the shape as a single element it will automatically group it and give it the name you give your shape upon saving,

Select your shape layers and click, Save as Shape" in the layer tools area.

Preview your shape element, give it a title, description if you want, tags and then Save Shape.

That simple! At this point, shapes cannot be shared with one another (unless you do that privately - it's your choice).

Shape Galleries: A Place to Show Off  Your Abilities!

A new gallery for all of your custom shapes, will be added to your profile page the moment you create and save your first shape with the "Save as Shape" tool.

Gallery element for your Shapes (above)

Gallery view of your shapes allows the same filter-view options as other creations on the site.

Each shape has its own information page just like the other creations on CLCOLOURlover.com. Everyone has the ability to LOVE, FAVE and SHARE this shape made by you! Additionally, you have the ability to download the .SVG file, located under the, made "with Seamless Lite" link and DELETE or EDIT the shape profile under the OPTIONS drop-down.

Shapes will also stream on to the homepage of COLOURlovers.com as they are being created. So let's see what you got?!

agathejs

love this, thank you!!!!

Rips

Very nice. Very useful feature. THX with Love:)

huege

This is one great feature of Seamless Studio that convinced me to purchase it. I'm glad it's being made available to the masses that use Seamless Lite.

And having the share feature improves on Studio version :)

American Women

Yay I'm soooooooooooooooooo excited! :)

Any Palacios

"save as a shape" is a great tool, with this one you can reuse a shape you like a lot, and
it will take you less time to create another design when you use your pre-made shapes you have already created.And the SAVE button is magnificent....It alloud you to contiinue working with the desgin when you have time...I love SEAMLESS.
Great post Molly.

akvbroek

Hip! Hip! Hurray!! This is fabulous!

Rose Khan

Trully it's very needfull .

MissGibbon

buhhhhhh does not compute! <3 <3 <3

huege

Oh, I thought we'd be able to use other's shapes to make templates...like a shape library. Maybe in the future?

mollybermea

Like I mentioned, you cannot CURRENTLY use each others shapes with this update... :D

huege wrote:

American Women

The shapes we create in SS do not show up in CL? Only the ones we create in Seamless lite? or am I missing something? lol

huege

If you want your shapes accessible in both Seamless Studio and Lite, I think you need to create them in Lite, then download the .svg file to the appropriate location on your computer (the folder where the .svg shape files are saved from SS).
American Women wrote:

mollybermea

@American Women and @huege

Right, at this point in time, SS shapes cannot be created/used/accessed on COLOURlovers.com - ONLY Seamless Lite. @huege has the correct idea here - IF you were to create a shape on Seamless Lite you could essentially download the .SVG to your computer and them import it in to SStudio to use in designing. Just think of this as The Beginning. ;)

American Women wrote:

American Women

hmmm still imports as Squares! :) lol!
@American Women and @huege

American Women wrote:

Any Palacios

Hey CLovers...left all problems and buy Seamless Studio..it is great!!!...and so fun to make templates there......I could create my last birds template with many detalis because I have the SAVE option there, and you can continue working when you have time...now I have many own shapes saved there.

mollybermea

ah! You mean your imported SVG is coming up as a square?

This is probably because it is including a background color in the downloaded file - I'll make a note to development and see if that's it. :)

American Women wrote:
hmmm still imports as Squares! :) lol!

MichaelEdgerley

Wow. This is a fantastic idea with massive potential for designers. I really look forward to uploading Shapes to CL from SS at some point. And the addition of a coming Shapes Library will make for an endless catalog of user generated visuals to choose from for Template designs. Outstanding vision guys! Huge!!!

mollybermea

@MichaelEdgerley - yeah pretty cool huh! :)

huege

Molly, I just tried this shape download from Lite/upload to Studio and it didn't work for me. I can download and upload, and the Lite shapes appear in the My Shapes tab, but they are not useable. If I click on the shape and drag it over to the workspace, it's visible as I drag it, but as soon as I drop it on the workspace it disappears. The shape shows up on the Layers list as a Group, but there is nothing in the "group" when I click on it.
She_Caught_The_Katy
ah! You mean your imported SVG is coming up as a square?

American Women wrote:
hmmm still imports as Squares! :) lol!

Any Palacios

Hi Dave....I read your comment..this has happened to me too when I import my shapes form illustrator and I found the problem..The shape is there but you can't see it because the line is too tiny...you have to put more weight to the shape line....also before importing it...make the shape very Big......If you can't increase the shape line.....You won't be able to see it in your shapes.

Any Palacios

Hi MOlly...when everybody can use someothers shape Seamless will be AWESOME,.this is a great idea!

mollybermea

@huege and @Any - I'll follow up on this soon. Any is correct that you need to make the lines thicker in order to see it (at least 2-3 pixels wide). It is currently a small bug in Seamless Studio. I am asking about it....

brianreavis

@huege: Found the problem! It's definitely a bug regarding importing shapes w/lines from Seamless Lite into Seamless Studio. I've got it fixed now though. I need to rebuild the software (which will take a day or two), but I'll post a new version here soon!

American Women

Go Brian! Brian RAWKS!

brianreavis wrote:

huege

Excellent!!! .... the ultra-fantastic-super-wonderful-template I was planning to make for my one year anniversary on CL can wait :D
brianreavis wrote: