Welcome to our print color community. Here you'll find the latest print-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your next print design project.

Channels»Print»Forums»Print»A CMYK World»Convert "COLORlovers, and Color Image Scale" into Pantone.

Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Convert "COLORlovers, and Color Image Scale" into Pantone.

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 7 of 7 Comments

caisley

With more than 250 2'x3' landscape, oil paintings under my belt I have gotten good at working with hues of green.
However, I wanted to do something new and have come up with a nice, new technique for doing abstracts. Unfortunately my colour choices stink.
To get started, I would like to convert COLORlovers and the Color Image Scale into Pantone swatch numbers so that I will have something physical, in a size I can work with.
Many thanks in advance.

jacindawalker

yes! i totally agree. i love love LOVE this site. it has helped me to tremendously. but there has got to be a way to convert these palettes into pantone color swatch numbers. please let me know if anyone knows how to do it quicker than guessing in illustrator or photoshop. thanks! :D

magentasecret

Contact the site and see what they can do for you.

Peter-Pastel34

Have you written the admin. yet caisley? You're probably not the only one who could benefit from a conversion option.

FairyPartiesSydney

Best of luck to you with that.

Just Perfect Color

I suspect the problem is Pantone. A few years ago someone took the time to do a nice translation of RGB color codes to a Pantone chart and they sent a cease and desist letter and threat of a lawsuit. You have to pay for their guides to even come close to the color translation. My firm used to have near every color guide Pantone put out but I fumed at the cost and when signing the checks. We used the Munsell Color Communication products more anyhow.

I use www.easyrgb.com a great deal in my work and perhaps it will work for you. The online version is free and allows you to convert RGB codes to commercial tints like the color codes and names of major paint companies. It will even tweak your monitor color on a per visit basis although I hope you all have yours set to 6500K, the standard for color, to start.

www.easyrgb.com will also convert to some systems like the Munsell Color System which is still a more universal way of notating and communicating color than Pantone. Admittedly it is a bit more complicated and takes some getting used to though. It is very intuitive with a low learning curve though.

How Munsell Color Notation Works

Just select the RGB to Commercial Tints tab on the top of the screen. Enter the RGB code. Select a color collection for the translation and the system displays the color codes and names of the four closest matches.

Investing in a paint company fan deck for color reference, will set you back much less than any of the Pantone guides.

Obviously you will need RGB codes and if you do not have them a free pixel grabber is in your future. I use the one in ColorImpact---my fave color exploration software package--- a lot. I also have Color Cop and PicPick (just be careful not to download bloatware you do not want with either).

I have been surprisingly pleased with Exotic Colors and Color Grab and the silly camera in my Android Smartphone for starting color explorations and grabbing RGB codes from photos. Both are free applications.
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

AshesBurnt
AshesBurnt
Posted 32 minutes ago
Started with:
Flowers_for_Mom
Random colour:
vrrr
Browse palettes:
Flowering_Heather
Result:
Blood_Sprite
Kim100
Kim100
Posted 2 hours ago
Trixxie, feeling for you! As you can see, I tried to become a sponsor.....ha!
Trixxie wrote:
Hello ColourLover! I've renewed my sponsorship and I am not able to upgrade to the features that come with sponsorship. This is an obvious issue with the software. The "Upgrade Account" option is there, but it just sends me to Paypal again. Will any issues concerning "BUGS" within Colourlovers ever be addressed and fixed? This site is very important to me. I enjoy it immensely. PLEASE HELP!!
DarkBlueMe4Ever
DarkBlueMe4Ever
Posted 4 hours ago
Tropical Dreams...
By licorice104

+

Shake_Roll

=

Earthquake

Earthquake

Creamy_Lotus

DarkBlueMe4Ever