Welcome. Here you'll find the latest home and interior-design focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your next interior design project.

Channels»Home»Forums»Home»Living in Color»Master Bedroom- covering previous owners paint!

Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Master Bedroom- covering previous owners paint!

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 11 of 11 Comments

cdubs82

So I am finally going to paint my new bedroom. Being a military family we have never been able to paint our house so this is exciting and scary at the same time. I need some suggestions on what to paint my room.

My furniture does not "match" but it is all darker wood. I do not have a headboard yet but I am going to buy one in the next few months. Not sure what color or stain to use on that.

Master bedroom Empty

Same paint color as higher wall in a different room

Master with bed This is how "cool" that brown color behind the bed really looks most the time.

Master bath

Here is my quilt that I love. I can't part with it. It just so happens that it really matches the colors on the walls right now. But Idk I am kind of finding the tan alittle blah. I want a pop of color somewhere. I dont mind the light tan walls but the cool darker blah brown behind the bed has to go.

Close ups of the patterns

Maybe do something with the blue in this pattern?

Pillows I was thinking maybe do the big back wall in the plum color?

I have a few questions I wanted to ask.

1) should my master bath "match" my master bedroom, or just flow together?

2) My house is a two story and right the whole upper level (3 bedrooms, huge loft, guest bath and laundry room) kind of flows together.

Loft/Landing Area

IRL this next picture isn't so yellow. The door on the right leads into the master bath.

Guest bedroom 1

Guest bedroom 2

Team

mollybermea

Great pictures, nice and simple notes on what you would like. Caught my eye so I posted this to our facebook (https://www.facebook.com/colourlovers?ref=hl) and twitter feed to try to get you some help. :)

Hopefully one of our lovely members passionate about interior design can help you out!

Good luck!

Molly Bermea
Community Curator

cdubs82

Thank you! I posted this on my town community board and another (none interior design) board that I am as well. not many responses on one and the first board is telling me that I need to change things with other rooms, get rid of furniture and start from scratch. I really just need some paint ideas! Lol, I like everything else in my room(s) lol.

Kaleidoscopickate

Hello there, I think the idea of having plum for your back wall would work well as its dark but more aesthetically pleasing and can be
Complimented by lighter shades of purple(like the shelf box on the floor)or the same blue/ turquoise colour you have in the Guest room (which is
Lovely) I don't think the bathroom has to match but if you feel you want it to, I'd suggest using white and lighter shades of the same purple and blues you already have. If you're worried about yellowish tints repaint the walls with a white varnish which will bring light and reinforce the flow of brightness and continuity :) good luck I'm sure you'll make the right choice for your tastes.

cdubs82

Thanks! I was really thinking plum on that back wall... Plum_and_blue" />

what about the other walls though? I just feel so nervous because I have to see this room every day lmbo...if I mess up there's no just closing the door and ignoring it.

master" target="_blank">side walls, back and bath

Kaleidoscopickate

I think that colour scheme will work well :) I'd swap between white walls and purple or blue ones so the rooms aren't too dark. If you're not too confident I'd suggest doing one wall coloured/ two if you're feeling more confident and keep the others white or cream so the colour isn't too overpowering. Maybe make some sketches
With different coloured walls, then experiment and find colours you think work, you can always paint over it ;) good luck!
Team

mollybermea

That's funny. I think someone with real, GOOD advice would work with what you have and what you are requesting. I think it's possible to work with the ideas you posted and your notes.

cdubs82 wrote:
Thank you! I posted this on my town community board and another (none interior design) board that I am as well. not many responses on one and the first board is telling me that I need to change things with other rooms, get rid of furniture and start from scratch. I really just need some paint ideas! Lol, I like everything else in my room(s) lol.

doxideb

The Sherwin Williams website has a great program called "ChipIt"; you can enter a color and it will give you suggestions for color palettes. You could also enter the picture of your quilt, and it will generate the colors and coordinates also. It's really fun to use! They have an app too, which I haven't used since I don't have a smart phone, but the guys on HGTV's Kitchen Cousins use it and viewers are always writing on their Facebook wall to ask about it. Hope this helps!
Team

mollybermea

A good way to also test out if you need some super visualization would be to buy about 4 pieces of poster board and get the paint your thinking in samples..... Paint them equaling how you might, the walls and set up a mini room sort of thing.....

You said some of your furniture is dark wood, my only concern would be having dark furniture/wood against a dark wall.

Last year, I found that Martha Stewards line is super helpful if you're not sure about an accent color... she has this great symbol system that matches things by hue and keeps the guess work out of it. I painted both my kids rooms with her line with accent walls and loved how it turned out. Also includes trim colors.... only problem is that her line lacks in numbers.... but sometimes it's good to be limited if it all seems too overwhelming.

It might be pretty to do a crisp white contrasting with the plumb.... but I would also repaint the wood side tables in the same / similar white and get a white headboard (or get an old white door headboard ;) OR find a third accent color to re-do the furniture with. But I'm sure also there is a way without re-doing ALL of your furniture too, which I'm all for. hah.

Peter-Pastel34

Awesome quilt. Keeper. That plum color's sharp, but might make the room too dark.

agreen

Love plum color.
You must be logged in to post a comment.