Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Site Info»New Feature Requests»Views
Showing 1 - 8 of 8 Comments

Luna Rosa

Hello Colourful Peeps,

I've just had a thought which I'm releasing into the wild to see how it does. It has come to my attention that often those pesky colour gremlins get into the system and blow out the number of "views" on people's patterns and palettes. I'll be honest, it's not something I lose sleep over but I was wondering, do we even need the view count at all? If anything it can be a bit of a downer, representing (when compared side by side to the number of loves) the amount of people who just didn't care for your creation at all. Which, of course, is perfectly fine but doesn't really give the warm-fuzzy feeling that maybe it's designed to. Perhaps the views could be replaced with faves, or just gotten rid of all together? As I said, it's just a thought, feel free to tell me I'm mad (you won't be the first:)

Peace out, Luna.

WinterLover

I honestly agree with you. i personally do not really care how many people have viewed my piece. I just care about who loves and faves them. Because honestly, I wonder how the views are counted. Are they just users here on CL or can any random person who isn't logged in contribute to your view count?

Either way, I don't like it. I honestly would prefer to not have it on there. I have enough notifications to know that my works is being viewed by a lot of people.

toffee sprinkles

I like the view count. I especially like the bit that says, "xxx COLOURlovers viewed this page and think ____ is..."

I have two palettes that were featured as the "Facebook Palette of the Day", and the amount of loves they received is relatively low when compared to the views (4% and 5% of the people who viewed them, loved them). But I'm just glad people took the time to look at them, even if they didn't click the "love" button. I don't make palettes for other people to love. I make them because I enjoy the process. If people love them along the way, great; if not, that's okay, too.

Anyway, if you ever feel discouraged about your love-to-view ratio, just look at Giant Goldfish. It may be the most popular palette on the site, but less than 2% of the people who have viewed it, loved it (assuming each view is unique). ^-^

Luna Rosa

You make some good points but I don't know that each view is unique or an accurate reflection of the number of people who look at it because people look at things multiple times for various reasons - because you forget you've already loved something or you want to make a pattern etc. Also, the "xxx COLOURlovers viewed this page and think ____ is..." is inaccurate too because, according to the love/view ratio, 90% of people think it's not worth the half a second it takes to click love, i.e. they think it's average at best. I still think it's a little redundant but it doesn't really bother me if it stays either.

What I would like to see instead, though I don't know how difficult it would be to do, would be to show many people have made patterns from it and then be able to link to a list of those patterns. That would be cool.

toffee sprinkles

The little blurb about views doesn't have anything to do with the palette or pattern - it's about the creator of the work, and I like seeing all of the phrases the CL staff has come up with. Besides, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that 90% of the people who have viewed your creations think you're pure perfection. ;D

Luna Rosa wrote:
You make some good points but I don't know that each view is unique or an accurate reflection of the number of people who look at it because people look at things multiple times for various reasons - because you forget you've already loved something or you want to make a pattern etc. Also, the "xxx COLOURlovers viewed this page and think ____ is..." is inaccurate too because, according to the love/view ratio, 90% of people think it's not worth the half a second it takes to click love, i.e. they think it's average at best. I still think it's a little redundant but it doesn't really bother me if it stays either.

What I would like to see instead, though I don't know how difficult it would be to do, would be to show many people have made patterns from it and then be able to link to a list of those patterns. That would be cool.

Faeleia

wait, what are you concerned with? the % of unique views of people who view it in relation to the ratio of people who love it? omg. that math thing hurts my head.

I love that (XX viewed ___'s creation and think it's awesome beans.) <-- that part may be a little ego boosting happy pill, but i'm glad it's there!

if you really want people's opinions, here's an idea. u can have a poll at the bottom, so people can click what they really think.

Please rate palette! (1-10) (anonymous). it'll be a more accurate indication of what people think, i dunno?

WinterLover

I would say my main issue with the view count is that it isn't accurate if you are talking about unique counts. And it is something I am wary of when I visit other people's palettes. I don't want to add to their view count if I can only love the palette once, etc. I miss the ability to re-love something once the month is over.

I would absolutely love the pattern idea. I think that is something very long overdue. We already have the original palette linked to the pattern and we need the vice versa. This is something I've tried to keep up with myself and it is a pain to do.

So yea, I love making palettes because I love making them. But if you are going to count views (1 per person), I would like it to be accurate (or more so). It's almost the same thing when you have tracking for your blog or something.

toffee sprinkles wrote:
I like the view count. I especially like the bit that says, "xxx COLOURlovers viewed this page and think ____ is..."

I have two palettes that were featured as the "Facebook Palette of the Day", and the amount of loves they received is relatively low when compared to the views (4% and 5% of the people who viewed them, loved them). But I'm just glad people took the time to look at them, even if they didn't click the "love" button. I don't make palettes for other people to love. I make them because I enjoy the process. If people love them along the way, great; if not, that's okay, too.

Anyway, if you ever feel discouraged about your love-to-view ratio, just look at Giant Goldfish. It may be the most popular palette on the site, but less than 2% of the people who have viewed it, loved it (assuming each view is unique). ^-^

Luna Rosa

Lol, I completely agree, that bit is great and I'm sure even if the "views" went away there'd be a way it could still stick around. But honestly, it was just thought, I don't want to complicate anything and I certainly don't want to upset people. If everyone likes it then leave it as it is (not that there has been any indication at all that we're not just rambling into the void:)

toffee sprinkles wrote:
The little blurb about views doesn't have anything to do with the palette or pattern - it's about the creator of the work, and I like seeing all of the phrases the CL staff has come up with. Besides, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that 90% of the people who have viewed your creations think you're pure perfection. ;D

Faeleia wrote:
I love that (XX viewed ___'s creation and think it's awesome beans.) <-- that part may be a little ego boosting happy pill, but i'm glad it's there!
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›