Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Site Info»New Feature Requests»Search by License

Search by License

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 9 of 9 Comments

nfriedly

I love that you guys make it easy to license things as creative commons, but I'd love it even more if you could filter search results by license.

To give you a little background, I'm mostly a "lurker" here, I like to grab palettes and patterns to use in my side projects. Some of the projects need a "Commercial use is allowed." license while others are intended to be free, so any CC license would do.

(And yes, I know I could contact the creator and that a lot of them would gladly give me permission.. but when I'm just trying out ideas, this would help me get off to a quicker start.)

ursana

I'd love this option! I like to make stationery and would LOVE to use some of the pattern templates on CL with my own palette colors. PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!

Just Perfect Color

I realize this is an old post but I do not know what is meant by license in this instance.

Copyrights accrue automatically to the creators of works once converted to a tangible form-- printed on paper, painted on canvas, recorded on tape, published to a forum like this, etc. It helps if there are ever infringement or conflict issues but copyrights do not have to be registered. Copyrights for individuals last their lifetime plus 70 years. Unless specifically assigned, the copyright holder retains all rights for use of the intellectual property.

Licenses and assignments may be broad or specific. They should be in writing. Clip art and stock photographer are good examples. Licenses (and associated fees) may be granted to use images but perhaps only for specific purposes. Most clip art discs had fine print that said you could not use the images for commercial purposes---websites, letterhead, etc.

I guess there is nothing stopping you from exploring what different patterns on this site might look like but once you commit your modifications to the exact pattern to some tangible form, like posting them here or printing letterhead with them, you are probably violating copyright law.

Just be careful assuming a license is broad enough to cover your use. When in doubt, contact the creator of the work. Just because something is on the internet does not mean you have the rights to use it. Some would like to see this changed but they are clearly not trying to make a living based on intellectual property. I guess they want musicians, authors, artists, architects and all to work for free so they may have access to their work.

nfriedly

Hi JPC, you're spot-on - the creator holds all copyrights unless they grant someone else a license. One of the features of the COLOURLouvers website is that creators can specify a "default" license that is automatically granted to any one who is interested in using the pallet/pattern/etc.

(For example, if you look at http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/3044255/Grape_Wine - on the left side under PALETTE LICENSE it says
CC-BY-SA with a link to the full text of the license and a brief summary of what the license allows and requires.)

What I'm requesting is a way to search for other pallets that have a default license. Something similar to https://www.flickr.com/creativecommons

Just Perfect Color

Understood. It makes sense if you are suggesting to search only licenses in usable, without restrictions, categories. This was not so clear until your last post which is why this thread caught my attention. I think your idea great now that I better understand it. It is especially refreshing that you are mindful of all this! Not to shatter your hopes but it still seems uncertain how this site will be maintained or developed since the AutoDesk acquisition.

The CC licensing scheme is clear as mud but as I understand it, your adapted work must be posted under the same license as the original with full attribution and notes of all changes unless the material has been released to the public domain? Where is the happening with regard to ColourLovers sharing?

Usually rights assignments include specific statement of duration---one year, one edition, lifetime, etc. I guess all CC licenses are lifetime? This strikes me as odd but not our problem I guess. Off track but I think these blanket CC licenses are a tad dangerous? Better than nothing though and at least the need for something is recognized.

I guess the charts in the CC licensing FAQ were helpful to a point. Folks will have to scroll down for them. The FAQ is worth reading completely when you all have time. I have been negotiating and working out rights assignments for artists, illustrators, and photographers off and on for decades. I have trouble understanding these licenses so do not worry if you do not get it all. It is clear they are still evolving so that is good.

CC License FAQ

nfriedly

Yea, and the Share-Alike part is optional. (Actually, I'm not even sure why I selected that; I just switched it to CC-BY now, which is a bit simpler.)

That FAQ is kind of confusing.. I think the settings page here is pretty straightforward though: http://www.colourlovers.com/account/set-license

And, yes, CC licenses are for life.

Just Perfect Color

FAQ kind of confusing? And overall the compatibility issues with 3.0 or only part of 4.0 minus 2.1 and divided by 1.3 expected in 6.3? Stuff reads like a software development team is trying to work out licensing agreements? Nothing against that I guess. I am just not accustomed to it.

Dunno. The setting page is simple but does it really cover the different licensing options? As I understand it the share-alike is not optional under at least two of the license categories: Share-alike commercial and share-alike non-commercial.

We also seem to be wandering from the subject of your thread. I realize I started the diversion. I find this discussion interesting and perplexing.

Back to the beginning, I think your idea to be able to search by license a great one. Whether there is anybody to implement the suggestion is the question.

Lyrric

Just chiming in that I would also love to be able to narrow my searches to only licenses I can use.
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

Lovely Lakes
Lovely Lakes
Posted 11 minutes ago
Titanium_Parsley
AcidWashedWatermelon
falun red
falun red
Posted 7 hours ago
buried_rockstar
Mojie
Mojie