Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Site Info»New Feature Requests»Just a Thought: Don't Improve or Clarify Karma :-)

Just a Thought: Don't Improve or Clarify Karma :-)

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 20 of 32 Comments
I don't know if it's on your to-do list, but it just occurred to me that this may be *part of* (!!) the secret to CL's success. Most of us have no idea how Karma works, so we don't feel tempted to "work the system". Competitive members tend to dominate other social sites because they want to build up their score, whatever it happens to be based on. Because score is not clear here, people are more focused on making palettes, patterns and encouraging conversation.

#justsayin ;-)
Team
Yes. You'd be surprised though the things people have done to get their score up here on COLOURlovers...

We think it is a useful thing to show as a way to recognize those who have contributed a lot to our community... but I also think an ideal system distributes the love amongst a lot of areas where people contribute.
Ha! I think I've seen a few things go by :-)

With a distributed system, I suspect I'd have to be truly obsessed (or quite a bit more than I already am?) to spend time trying to work it.

Another unique thing about CL is the way the community has evolved its own ways of recognizing contributors.
On that note... just curious... who are luvstacos and mkautella?

More of a curiosity than anything, because both have 16,777,215 karma, about 15 million more than retsof. And joined in the last couple months, and haven't created anything at all. Are they tester profiles?

http://www.colourlovers.com/lovers/karma/all-time/meta
lol who cares about "points" "karma" "score"? if it would be something like pac man i would understand the competition reaching a NUMBER...

but this place is an extremely cool place to inspire each other and trying things out quickly. any new idea instantly created without big obstacles... just some clicks and you can publish and watch the resonance... awesome place... cool to see what people like, what they dont and what just needs some attention. and interesting to see the differences in tastes and likes and where peoples tastes overlap... help each other making stuff and techniques... making this an awesome place...

would be sad if people just click stuff for own score... wtf... this makes all nonsense... ok i never played any rpg/mmorpg or farmville/facebook-like purposeless clickety click your way to virtual happiness to understand the value of "immaterial & meaningless clicks?". (there is a pattern you can see in all these things, thats why i compare it to rpg... its all about a "new" identity)

would be sad to realize that half of the loves& favs aren't meant honestly :( tell me that's not true. .. well im realist enough to realize that such things exist - i have even known some friends that really got into that virtual-click-all-you-can stuff... until the points got reset and the fell into deep depression... wtf... points??? i mean not even a game where you can say i got better skills or something... my face is just like o_O all the time and sometimes like O_Ò too ^^

i would say delete and remove score & karma !!! :P:P:P:P:P
Penina wrote:
Because score is not clear here, people are more focused on making palettes, patterns and encouraging conversation.

Irradiance Cache wrote:
l who cares about "points" "karma" "score"? if it would be something like pac man i would understand the competition reaching a NUMBER...

Agree *^*
We're here to enjoy with colors and make someone happy with our creations (for me it's so), we aren't here for be the best.

(very bad english D: I hope you understand something LOL).
I don't pay any attention to my or anyone else's karma on this site. I don't even know what it means! lol

I just have fun making palettes and colors with funny names, and showing appreciation to others for their imaginative and eye-pleasing work. I don't even care if people don't acknowledge my compliments. This site is all about feeling good, making pretty things, and sharing the love.
? So how does karma get calculated? I don't think it affects anything else other than a no. on our profile, so I don't really care about it either. I rather stare at colours than numbers. :))
I never had understood the point of the karma system here on CL. I know Darius said that it's basically to keep track of who does stuff around here but....aren't achievements pretty easy to track if you take a couple of moments and flip through a person's palettes and patterns?

If a person creates something that touches me, that's enough. I don't need to see numbers. I've viewed the work of people who have made hundreds of creations on the site, run 50 groups daily, post to those 50 groups on a daily basis, and all the stuff that would raise karma and their art does nothing for me. Therefore, their 1 billion karma points don't mean much.

When it comes to art, I don't believe in competition. Because art and the process of creating art are extremely subjective, how can a person's artistic achievements, on or off the site, be measured by anything, let alone numbers? Some may create more than others and I don't think that should affect whether a person receives recognition for their work or not.

Irradiance Cache wrote:

would be sad to realize that half of the loves& favs aren't meant honestly :( tell me that's not true. .. well im realist enough to realize that such things exist - i have even known some friends that really got into that virtual-click-all-you-can stuff... until the points got reset and the fell into deep depression... wtf... points??? i mean not even a game where you can say i got better skills or something... my face is just like o_O all the time and sometimes like O_Ò too ^^

I'm with you. If someone is going to click the love button beside one of my works, I want them to really love it. Not to make me feel good, not to rack up points, not to impress me....please do it because I've touched you in some way.
by the way... i heard from a CL developer that every time someone votes for his/her own palette 25 karma will be subtracted.... a fav costs 75 points....

haaaaaaa just kidding xD
I think it's 5 for every palette/pattern/colour you create, 1 for every comment you post (or gets posted on one of your things, I think?) and 1 for follows too (again, I'm not sure... can someone please clarify?)

I'm glad that the idea of karma and score doesn't dominate the site... it's clearly not what it's about but nevertheless it's good to have an idea of who has made larger overall contributions to the site -- sometimes merely out of curiosity!

Also, @lesaint: this is a glitch that often occurs on the score pages of palettes/patterns/colours/lovers and the number is always the same (16,777,215) whether it's love or karma or whatever. This has happened quite a lot on the highest-scored palette pages in the past, but it always gets fixed and is not the doing of the person themselves. =)
OrigamiMei wrote:

Faeleia wrote:
[rubbish]
When you have more Karma, you'll eventually glow, and have shiny bio pages! And if you have 1 million karma, your palettes will have the glittery effect when published.

[/rubbish]

That's about right.
Also: you get ownership of small countries once you reach one bazillion karma points. I'm working on owning South Korea or New Zealand.....

i heard at 2 bazillion you reach enlightenment and fly to the heavens.
Faeleia wrote:
Hey, wasn't it the toxic space mug?
Team
This conversation cracks me up.... would you like a blog post about Karma to better describe it? lol

- Molly
Community Curator / Blog Editor
Nono.. 4 bazillion = free trip to space and we get an empty mug, which i suggest we hold it when we get to space! and then later decided that it's better if it has toxic coffee in it and a lid in case we meet aliens who want some coffee. Ya just never know.

ycc2106 wrote:
Faeleia wrote:
Hey, wasn't it the toxic space mug?
molly you HAVE to let people know the truth about this. *serious face*

So here's a short break down: AWARDS FOR KARMA

- 1 million karma = achieve glitter effect - your palettes will have the glittery effect when published. (glitter.gif loops so you don't have to worry about it running out)

- 1 bazillion karma = you get ownership of small countries (choose wisely!)

- 2 bazillion karma = reach enlightenment and fly to the heavens.

- 4 bazillion karma = free trip to space + empty CL coffee mug - coffee

I'm patiently waiting for glittery effect to happen first!
Molly, no! no!
Haha!!
Don't describe it!
As you can see, we've clearly handled it in this thread. Just send them here!

:-D
Opening Pandoras box .....

I need a visual breakdown of the numerical or coulorful equation of which this is calculated please!
:)

Thanks!
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
YES PLEASE! xo

mollybermea wrote:
This conversation cracks me up.... would you like a blog post about Karma to better describe it? lol

- Molly
Community Curator / Blog Editor
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

paulsky555
paulsky555
11 hours ago
---------- Welcome To My Store ----------

REAL INFOS FULLZ SSN DOB + DL ( DRIVING LICENSE ) Fresh 100% for all state ( FL,CA,UT,TX,MN,PA,OH...etc)-

UPDATE 2024 SELL Driver's License Document(front+back+ssn)-Document Social Security Number USA (Telegram: paulsky555)

Telegram: @paulsky555 - ( Name: Mr. Paul ) - Working 24/7

Fomat Fullz : Fullz Name DOB SSN Adress City State Zip + DLWe provide fullz with 100% fresh quality and no resale

You can use it to open an account, etc... depending on your qualifications and working style

FULLZ INFO SSN DOB + CREDIT SCORE ( 700-800 ) WITHOUT DL

Sell original DL Scan Front, Back + SSN number USA ( front and back + SSN Number ), selfie...

We have country EU ID Card and DL SCAN : Netherland, Spain, Sweden, France, Romania,Sweden,Poland,UK,Latvia Litva...ETC ( front and back ), selfie..

Request your country ! sex...ETC

100% fresh quality and no resale

You can use it to open an account, etc... depending on your qualifications and working style

Take advantage of it !!!

Sell Dead Fullz Uk + NIN + DL / US All Bank

Sell Fullz CA + SIN

_________Contact Us________

Thanks!!!!
paulsky555
paulsky555
11 hours ago

REAL INFOS FULLZ SSN DOB + DL ( DRIVING LICENSE ) Fresh 100% for all state ( FL,CA,UT,TX,MN,PA,OH...etc)-

UPDATE 2024 SELL Driver's License Document(front+back+ssn)-Document Social Security Number USA (Telegram: paulsky555)

Fomat Fullz : Fullz Name DOB SSN Adress City State Zip + DLWe provide fullz with 100% fresh quality and no resale

Sell original DL Scan Front, Back + SSN number USA ( front and back + SSN Number ), selfie...

We have country EU ID Card and DL SCAN : Netherland, Spain, Sweden, France, Romania,Sweden,Poland,UK,Latvia Litva...ETC ( front and back ), selfie..

Take advantage of it !!!

Sell Fullz CA + SIN

Thanks!!!!
paulsky555
paulsky555
11 hours ago

Take advantage of it !!!

Sell Fullz CA + SIN

Thanks!!!!
paulsky555
paulsky555
11 hours ago

Take advantage of it !!!

Sell Fullz CA + SIN

Thanks!!!!
paulsky555
paulsky555
1 day ago
Update bulk data of 20,000 full
Update DL scan 15,000 2 sides
All are new and fresh
telegram: Paulsky555

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.