Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Advice & Critiques»Tips & Techniques much appreciated

Tips & Techniques much appreciated

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 20 of 26 Comments

tularoo

I am simply blown away by what so many of you can do with Seamless Light. Most recently, I've seen some people create swirls & I just can't seem to figure out how to do that. I've tried using the line tool, but only ever get the one middle point to create a curve. I'm also really curious how some people are able to create such subtle shading in Seamless Light. Anyone willing to share some of the tips behind the magic?

LaurieAnna

hi tularoo, and everyone
i am new to the site and really love everything i've seen! i would love to get your responses to tualaroo's question above [...creating spirals...] as well. also, i love the ideas available here, but i really need some ideas about what i can do with all of this creativity. i have enjoyed creating palettes and patterns, and naming a few colors! i don't mean to be ...obtuse, i could do this all just for fun all day- but i feel there must be more, much more. i think i need a tutor or a MENTOR, any volunteers? any and all responses or feed back would be verrrry much appreciated- thanks so much!
LaurieAnna :>

sweetscraps

I too would like answers to the above questions. One thing I have learned tho is if you connect several lines together a swirl can be created but I'm sure there must be a better way.

biebar

Would love some tips too! maybe the tip page could be created with some tutorials?
Are the patterns created only with the tools provided here or do people import their own stuff?

maryjd

Maybe someone in CL land is a genius with seamless lite and will have a better answer than mine but... this is what I discovered. To get creative with your shapes, you have to create them in another program, and that program has to be able to save in SVG format. Ideally you have Adobe Illustrator, but illustrator is very expensive. You can also download a free program called Inkscape, which will allow you to create vector shapes. Explaining vectors is a whole other huge topic. There are lots of tutorials online.

Remember always save as SVG. If your shape won't upload to seemless lite when you use "import shape" it's probably because you have several separate vectors in it and you didn't group them before you saved.

Shyster☆

I think you're mixing up seamless lite and studio... because you cannot import shapes in lite. if only.

though a lot of things really are possible in seamless lite, it's kind of all about just messing around until you figure out how to get the result you wanted.

but people buy seamless studio and can make their own vectors to use in template making. so no, not everything is made in seamless lite. there's also a 15 day trial. which I wish I'd made better use of, 'cause I can't buy it.

maryjd

You're right Shyster, I did mix up lite and studio, and studio does allow you to make vectors, sort of. I just find it's really limited and doesn't work very well. Maybe it works better on a PC then a Mac, I don't know.

So if you don't want to buy studio, you can still make some interesting templates by layering the shapes that lite comes with. I don't know about spirals though. If you have studio and Inkscape, you can use the spiral tool in Inkscape, it's really easy.

Shyster☆

yeah, the only way I know to make swirls in lite is to use lines. but it's not very smooth. still, it's a swirl.

biebar

Thank you!!
maryjd wrote:
You're right Shyster, I did mix up lite and studio, and studio does allow you to make vectors, sort of. I just find it's really limited and doesn't work very well. Maybe it works better on a PC then a Mac, I don't know.

So if you don't want to buy studio, you can still make some interesting templates by layering the shapes that lite comes with. I don't know about spirals though. If you have studio and Inkscape, you can use the spiral tool in Inkscape, it's really easy.

maryjd

No problem Beibar, I'm impressed by the templates you've made already. Perhaps I should be asking you for advice =;.)

biebar wrote:
Thank you!!
maryjd wrote:

sweetscraps

everything I've made has been made here using the tools available, but I'm kinda new to it and still have a lot to learn

biebar

I'm having trouble both on Seamless lite and Studio with the layers and the shapes I create. When the shapes i created are made of several parts/layers, they get grouped all mixed up when i try to use them again from the library.
And if i try to use too many layers, the whole thing gets soooooo slow! Maybe it's only on Macs?
Shapes should be saved as a single shape and not grouped layers.... it's a pain really
Anyone has a tip?

Shyster☆

sadly, I know all those problems well enough for myself and do wish shapes were all saved as one layer. I once made a shape with so many layers... ended up being unable to use it. made Firefox stop responding. but the slowness definitely has nothing to do with your computer being a Mac. I experience it quite a bit.

ByteDreams

maryjd wrote:
Maybe someone in CL land is a genius with seamless lite and will have a better answer than mine but... this is what I discovered. To get creative with your shapes, you have to create them in another program, and that program has to be able to save in SVG format. Ideally you have Adobe Illustrator, but illustrator is very expensive. You can also download a free program called Inkscape, which will allow you to create vector shapes. Explaining vectors is a whole other huge topic. There are lots of tutorials online.

Remember always save as SVG. If your shape won't upload to seemless lite when you use "import shape" it's probably because you have several separate vectors in it and you didn't group them before you saved.

thanks - that was helpful. I am not familiar with SVG format, but i do have Illustrator.
that

JuliaGulia23

I know this is an old response but I wanted to say thank you for posting it. I found a program where I could save in svg format however I couldn't find a way to import to anything to seamless lite. I was starting to feel like an idiot. Good to know that' it's not possible with lite.
Shyster☆ wrote:
I think you're mixing up seamless lite and studio... because you cannot import shapes in lite. if only.

though a lot of things really are possible in seamless lite, it's kind of all about just messing around until you figure out how to get the result you wanted.

but people buy seamless studio and can make their own vectors to use in template making. so no, not everything is made in seamless lite. there's also a 15 day trial. which I wish I'd made better use of, 'cause I can't buy it.

Cativva

Alot of the really delicate patterns are imports, im good at figuring stuff out as i have , and til cant do alot of the patterns i have seen ,but i was given this info from a colour lovers answer too the same simillar question i asked of him..i still dont know how or where, if i find it , i will share the link.

Cativva

tularoo wrote:
I am simply blown away by what so many of you can do with Seamless Light. Most recently, I've seen some people create swirls & I just can't seem to figure out how to do that. I've tried using the line tool, but only ever get the one middle point to create a curve. I'm also really curious how some people are able to create such subtle shading in Seamless Light. Anyone willing to share some of the tips behind the magic?

JuliaGulia23

Thank you for the reponse. I finally figured out that I can't import anything to seamless lite. It's not an option unless you have Seamless Studio. So, it looks like I need to buy that if I want to import any drawings or pictures.
Cativva wrote:
Alot of the really delicate patterns are imports, im good at figuring stuff out as i have , and til cant do alot of the patterns i have seen ,but i was given this info from a colour lovers answer too the same simillar question i asked of him..i still dont know how or where, if i find it , i will share the link.

Cativva

tularoo wrote:

Cativva

he told me if you have photoshop, you can do the trial seeless software before you buy it, them you import the gif to the software ..and from that , anything you do . There is an upload too colourlovers.com and presto ..but yo need photshop.

JuliaGulia23

Unfortunately I already did the trial and didn't realize I could import stuff until after it expired. I'm smacking myself in the head right now:( I did the trial when I first discovered this site and I really didn't know much about any of this. I feel like I wasted it.
Cativva wrote:
he told me if you have photoshop, you can do the trial seeless software before you buy it, them you import the gif to the software ..and from that , anything you do . There is an upload too colourlovers.com and presto ..but yo need photshop.

Cativva wrote:
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

DarkBlueMe4Ever
DarkBlueMe4Ever
Posted 7 minutes ago
kiliasty
kiliasty
Posted 43 minutes ago
paint_sweet_messages
c e c i
c e c i
Posted 1 hour ago
then_we_kiss.
ren-zoku
ren-zoku
Posted 2 hours ago
let_go_for_tonight
Ifihadapaintcan
Ifihadapaintcan
Posted 2 hours ago
I had this color: youre_too_good
And had named my palette this (dedicated to a wild bottle fed kitten):Shes_Not_Good

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›