Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Advice & Critiques»Spending Colors

Spending Colors

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 13 of 13 Comments

lenramirez

I've heard there are colors that are used in stores that will make you spend more than when other colors are on display.

I've heard there are colors that are used on websites that will cause visitors to spend more than when other colors are on display.

And then I've heard these color sets are not necessarily the same.

I had not really taken particular notice about most places. There are the obvious ones like the comfortable colors coffee shops like Starbucks often use and the transparently bright colors sports car shops like to use.

Have you noticed particular color combinations that are used on websites that you tend to spend a lot of money at?

What product is it and what color combinations are they using?

Do share.

Essie

I think you stumped the lovers with this question but I also think uncountable milions of dollars have been spent on researching these twin questions. I would love to know also1 you sound like you have a true marketing mind set. :) I thik I do, though I come here to play and relax, it is never out of my mind completely.

I think you get Best Question of the Year Award. I may just try to see if any of that expensive research has leaked out anywhere.

Answers must be very different for different demographics. We are more multi-cultural all the time, and also have been quite culturaly split by different economic, regional and educational levels, or "classes." If one noticed retailers who target the same demographic market using the same colors, we might start getting some answers by simple observation. Again, great question!

Essie lenramirez wrote:
I've heard there are colors that are used in stores that will make you spend more than when other colors are on display.

I've heard there are colors that are used on websites that will cause visitors to spend more than when other colors are on display.

And then I've heard these color sets are not necessarily the same.

I had not really taken particular notice about most places. There are the obvious ones like the comfortable colors coffee shops like Starbucks often use and the transparently bright colors sports car shops like to use.

Have you noticed particular color combinations that are used on websites that you tend to spend a lot of money at?

What product is it and what color combinations are they using?

Do share.

Just Perfect Color

I can give you the titles of some nice books on the psychology and sociology of color if your interested.

webspinner

I'm interested...and now I will go to my favorite spending sites and see what it is...usually it is the product large and clear agains a white and light grey background...much like....this site. I know that orange makes you hungry, bright pink makes one crazy (another one of those wonderful 'tests' they do on inmates' and that pale pink is relaxing. Have also heard that greens and blue greens, dark, like forests, are the most soothing ones.

SeasideStudio

Well tiffany blue certainly has done well, but I think I heard
orange was one.

manekineko

nah there's no consistent effect from colors on behavior, no empirical studies show that at all, it's totally rhetoric that can't can't stand up to any kind of scientific critique

drakinator

Hi manekineko!!

manekineko wrote:
nah there's no consistent effect from colors on behavior, no empirical studies show that at all, it's totally rhetoric that can't can't stand up to any kind of scientific critique

Not even that old standby about orange making you hungry? In the seventies virtually all fast food brands (arby's, mcdonalds, burger king, a & w, etc.) all used warn palettes based on oranges, golds, red, browns, and yellows. They must have thought it was true.

If it is just an old wives' tale, it is still really ingrained. I just read the other day not to use orange in your kitchen because it'll make you fat!!

Not that I wanted an orange kitchen...

:-)

manekineko

drakinator wrote:
Hi manekineko!!

manekineko wrote:

Not even that old standby about orange making you hungry? In the seventies virtually all fast food brands (arby's, mcdonalds, burger king, a & w, etc.) all used warn palettes based on oranges, golds, red, browns, and yellows. They must have thought it was true.

If it is just an old wives' tale, it is still really ingrained. I just read the other day not to use orange in your kitchen because it'll make you fat!!

Not that I wanted an orange kitchen...

:-)

Hehe if it's real then why did they ever stop? Why aren't oranges the most consumed food globally? Why aren't Home Depot workers (or tibetan monks for that matter) overweight compared to everyone else? Why aren't the food chains including orange in their logos and decor dominant over the ones that don't?

I think what it comes down to is that there really are no predictable outcomes of behavior based on color exposure (well outside of repeated white light exposure which has been shown to combat Seasonal Affective Depression).

Behavior aside, there's no real evidence even showing that specific color exposure has any kind of consistent emotional association, in fact every study I've heard of points to the opposite.

mandyshea

yes, there IS a science to it & yes, there are studies to show evidence of this. there's hundreds of books on this, coming from health professionals, design professionals, marketing professionals, etc.

most large corporations STILL use these standards, even though they may have been revised through the years for many differnt reasons. most now have departments who study all these factors & that is their job - to do the research & come up w/design ideas (INCLUDING COLORS & their effects).

monks & home depot workers getting fat b/c of all the orange... lol... there's many other external factors. it IS a science. it's so hard to be exact b/c of all these external factors.

it's all part of marketing... no matter what media you choose.

at my college, we were required to take three classes added to all the other art, design & computer classes that answered these questions for me....

-psychology
-color theory
-marketing for the www

*reds & oranges tend to make people feel hungry
*yellow can overwhelm & raise blood pressure if too much of it
*browns, greens & blues (colors found in nature) tend to relax us
*purples - even though they are my favorite colors, in general people tend to not want to eat things purple. we think it maybe since they are so rare to find naturally.

what i seem to notice, sites that want you to stay at their domain & spend your money...
use some or all of the prime colors:
#1 - red (hunger, bold & loyal) [target, kmart also uses some blue]
#2 - blue (relax & natural) [walmart also uses some red, lowes]
#3 - yellow (purify & stimulate) [ebay uses along w/red & blue]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
according to psychology.about.com:
*Red was used to stimulate the body and mind and to increase circulation.
*Yellow was thought to stimulate the nerves and purify the body.
*Orange was used to heal the lungs and to increase energy levels.
*Blue was believed to soothe illnesses and treat pain.
*Indigo shades were thought to alleviate skin problems.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also... in case you didn't already know:

items display at eye level on store shelves tend to be bought more... companies actually pay more money for these shelves.

& store layout is a science. google it. =)

also music & what stores play over their sound systems, even at different parts of their stores or at different times of day has proven to effect what customers buy, how much they spend & how much time they take.

manekineko

Hehe ok KS point me to any empirical study showing the science behind color usage bringing a predictable psychological or behavioral effect, I would wager you will not produce even one.

Plenty of people saying it's true, no one ever having actually seen the proof outside of circumstantial evidence.

I'm not talking about a book written by some guy, I'm talking about an actual published controlled scientific experiment.

If there's a science to it like you say, then it should be measurable and able to be duplicated. Otherwise it's a faith based philosophy thing.

mandyshea

manekineko wrote:
Hehe ok KS point me to any empirical study showing the science behind color usage bringing a predictable psychological or behavioral effect, I would wager you will not find even one.

Plenty of people saying it's true, no one ever having actually seen the proof outside of circumstantial evidence.

I'm not talking about a book written by some guy, I'm talking about an actual published controlled scientific experiment.

If there's a science to it like you say, then it should be measurable and able to be duplicated. Otherwise it's a faith based philosophy thing.

i own MANY of these books & the author NEVER just says "it's true, b/c i say so." each one of them uses studies to back their theory up & obviously big corporations do their own research to back up their findings too. i currently work for menards (if you're not familiar, it's the 3rd largest retail home improvement chain in the US) & we research this stuff EVERY day & test our finding all of the time.

"IF" and when i get a chance, i WILL point you in the right direction to scientific measurable results.

manekineko

Ok looking forward to it ;)
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

Seahorse Girl
Seahorse Girl
Posted 6 hours ago
FruitFilledCreamPup
3 Above + 2 Below
Sunday_Brunch
=
Puppy_Brunch
Seahorse Girl
Seahorse Girl
Posted 6 hours ago