Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Showcase Your Work»Random Color Name Generator

Random Color Name Generator

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 20 of 840 Comments
Hello Colour Lovers! I have created a Random Color Name Generator to help my fellow Colour Lovers to come up with creative names for their colors. It can also be useful for naming palettes and patterns.

http://randomcolornamegenerator.net23.net/home.html

ALTERNATE LOCATION: http://omentum.x10.mx

(Note: this generator is intended for adults only)

If you come up with some cool names for your colors using this Generator, please post them in this thread. I'm curious to see what you come up with!!

I suggest generating a cool random color name first, and then creating a color to go with that name by using the "Name a Color" function of this site: http://www.colourlovers.com/colors/add

You may also want to try Queezle's Random Color Generator!

Most of my recent color names have been generated using this Generator, and some of them are pretty funny! It comes up with stuff I may never have thought up on my own. It's fun to then create a color to go with the randomly-generated name.

If you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know. I have been working on this for many months, and I would like to thank ycc2106 for her help and guidance on this project!!

Also, thank you to MortuusDiabolus for his helpful javascript advice, and for a code rewrite to make the Generator far more efficient, code-wise!!

Thanks also to sundancer and MuseOfMusic for their support, humor, color contributions to this forum, and word suggestions!

Together, we can bring and end to boring color names!!
Embryonic_Ghost
Pregnant_Miasma
Rabid_Caviar

These are hilarious! Definitely a lot of fun.
Deathbed_LinenWookie_TaintVacant_OceanBlacktop_Lollipop
thats cool! heres some I got

Odd_Drama
Green_Solitude
Heat_Boredom
Cold_Autopsy
Those are great, diva42! :-D I love them.
By the way... I'm constantly adding new words to the Generator, and I'll probably upload the updates once or twice a week. Each update will astronomically increase the number of possible word combinations for titles!
Thanks for making this!
I combine names for some of my patterns too! Very Useful tool!
Space-Age_Spam
nice color combination really good.
A very nice idea~ Thanks!
This is an absolutely brilliant idea! I haven't tried it yet but I'll be sure to pop back here with some names when I do:)
had to have a go & realised i had 199 colours so what better way to create a 200th!! thank-you really cool tool :)

omnipotent_lobster
Lol, love Omnipotent Lobster:) Here's my first one, a dragon, yay!
Honeydew_Dragon
Nice work. Here's my fave lol
Martian_Dogsh**
and hopefully no one takes offense to it
whattafeeling wrote:
Nice work. Here's my fave lol
and hopefully no one takes offense to it

Hahaaa! I like it!
Hello there, I would like to give you a few suggestions about how you can make your code much more friendlier on the programmer's side for future development. :)

I rewrote your code, you can find it here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65518454/color.html

First let me paste the source code here and show you what I did. The whole script (except for the array initialization part) looks like this.

function nameGenerator(nameForm){
for (var i = 1; i<=nameForm.elements.length; ++i) {
var element = nameForm.elements[i];
if(i<10){
element.value=adjective[Math.floor(Math.random() * adjective.length)] + " " + noun[Math.floor(Math.random() * noun.length)];
}else{
element.value=noun[Math.floor(Math.random() * noun.length)] + " " + noun[Math.floor(Math.random() * noun.length)];
}
}
}
Unfortunately, it seems like CL comments have a character limit, so I have to split my original, 1-piece comment.
Also...CL formatted the code I pasted, you should instead check the source code at the link I provided.
Anyway, I rewrote your code, so now it consists of 1 for loop, and there is no need anymore to write the same lines of code 13 times. This is beneficial for many reasons. From now on, if you add one more table row to your HTML page, there won't be any need to create the corresponding lines of code for it, because the for loop now iterates through 14 elements of your form. Also...if you once decide to decrease the number of rows to 4, there won't be any line of code to delete either, because your for loop always adopts to your row counts/element counts.
Also, with for loops you can avoid getting your code overly verbose, which is always something to think about in the long run. :)
One more thing: with this indexing technique, there is no need to give each input label a unique name attribute, because the loop iterates through all the elements by their indexes, and their names are none of its concern. This helps keeping maintenance in the long run much easier too.
I also shortened the the core random generator part to one line. It accomplishes the same thing by assigning values directly to the "element.value" instead of doing it via variables and then assigning it to the element.

Also, to make it more understandable (because it wasn't obvious for me at first either), the for loop starts at 1 and not 0, because the 0th element is your button you press to trigger the script. It would be undesired to generate a random name for your button, though it might be fun. :)

And the "if-else" part serves the sole purpose of making my code behave exactly as how your script originally worked. Under 10 (the first 9 rows) should be randomly generated by concatenating an adjective and a noun, however after the loop variable "i" becomes >= 10, it will concatenate two nouns. :)

If you have any questions or something is unclear, feel free to ask. (^_^)
You can freely use my code if you wish, though I have to say that there was no real problem with your version either to begin with. I did it only to help you improve and help you "think out of the box", as they say. :))
Cheers. ^^

Also, lastly I have to note that apart from removing the name attributes of the input labels, I did not touch your html, nor your css file. I only modified the javaScript part.
MortuusDiabolus, I am so grateful to you for your javascript advice and the time you took to improve the code!!! I am below novice on HTML, and especially javascript. I picked apart a previously-existing random generator and kept experimenting with it until I got it to do what I wanted. All trial-and-error.

I'm going to compare the old and new (yours) and see if I can learn from the coding differences.

Thanks again... I really appreciate your changes and explanation. I'm going to add thanks to you in the original message of this thread!!
Hi! You are more than welcome. :)

Srry, but I don't really understand the problem clearly. I can interpret it 2 ways.
1) When the page loads the input labels are already filled. And they are always ("Homeless Dance", "Bound Princess", "Parasitic Evergreen", etc.), then if you click on the button everything goes normal.

2) The page loads perfectly. Everything is blank in the beginning but then each time you click on generate, the firstly generated names are always ("Homeless Dance", "Bound Princess", "Parasitic Evergreen", etc.). And then the secondly generated names are always random.

I use Opera, but when I was coding I used Chrome just to be on the "Javascript-safe" side of the coin. (Though all modern browsers should be able to manage Javascript, except for IE :D)

While I was coding I did not experience any kind of strange behavior. For me the code always worked the same way as yours: Always starting blank, when I click on generate, I always get random results and not the same, so this is why I don't really understand how it could misbehave for you.

I have double checked my javascript with the following browsers:
IE32, IE64, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera
I have the up-to-date versions of each borwsers and I did not encounter any problems. The only problem was some security issue, but I guess it was only because I am hosting the html file on dropbox and some browsers may consider this unsafe.

May I ask what browser you are using?

I checked your Haiku Generator. :D Funny stuff. :D
But the code has no prob with it. Of course even the best programmer's code can be refined further, which means my code is also far from perfect either. :)
But that is okay for the purpose. If you were doing the same with it too, as coding multiple times the same thing, then a for loop would be welcome there as well.

I cannot emphasize enough times that to begin with, there was no real problem with your code! It wasn't "all wrong". I just took my time to pimp it up, so you can learn from it. And felt like you would like to learn some new tips and tricks. :)
Unless you are planning on working with millions of data, your original code will be okay for the job. ;)
I love it!
Jungle_InsanityFifth_WaterMagnificent_ToadStinky_Lilac
Wordlinking the colors....
[w]magnificent_stink[w]_colonel_kurtz
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

ShiversTheNinja
ShiversTheNinja
From what I can gather the Sphinx server has been down for over a month and the forums are inundated with spam. I want all my old patterns back but I can't even view my profile. What is going on? Was the site abandoned?
paulsky555
paulsky555
Hot Service – Today New Update

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN
Sell info fullz SSN + Dob + DL – Sell Info Fullz Dead UK USA

Telegram: Paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

paulsky555
paulsky555

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

paulsky555
paulsky555

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.