Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Forums»Color Talk»Lover's Lounge»Color-hoarding/mass-claiming

Color-hoarding/mass-claiming

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 20 of 43 Comments
I try to keep my mouth shut as to not step on anyone's toes concerning this matter but, in all fairness to the members of the community, please don't mass-claim/hoard colors, especially when these colors are not being used in your palettes or patterns.

Please be considerate in this matter. Thank you. :)
Team
Do you mean by copyrighting colors?
No. I mean taking unclaimed/unnamed colors and naming them in large quantities. Basically using this tool like it's going out of style.

mollybermea wrote:
Do you mean by copyrighting colors?
I totally agree with you on this. But every time I mention it, people rush in to say "What's the big deal?" Well, it's getting harder for the normal, average user to feel the joy of claiming a color due to people who seemingly spend their every waking hour on this site who are hoarding colors like there's no tomorrow. I've been on here since 2007, and I have just over 7,000 colors. I see people who have been here 2.5 years and have claimed 20,000 colors. The absolute worst offender I've seen has over 200,000 colors. WHY? It's completely insane, and totally unfair to all other users, old and new.
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that this behavior isn't right.

omentum wrote:
I totally agree with you on this. But every time I mention it, people rush in to say "What's the big deal?" Well, it's getting harder for the normal, average user to feel the joy of claiming a color due to people who seemingly spend their every waking hour on this site who are hoarding colors like there's no tomorrow. I've been on here since 2007, and I have just over 7,000 colors. I see people who have been here 2.5 years and have claimed 20,000 colors. The absolute worst offender I've seen has over 200,000 colors. WHY? It's completely insane, and totally unfair to all other users, old and new.
Yes, think that's a little bit unfair... But some people like to 'collect' and naming them - that's how they express themselves... If you give the colours original and inspiring names - that's OK - just remember that others sometimes want to discover a colour, too. But it makes me so mad when I see Lovers with thousands of colours and most of them are named with its HEX code or 'creative' names like 'pink'.
Indeed, the situation wouldn't be quite as irksome if colors were given meaningful names as opposed to generic names and even symbols.

kotomi-chan wrote:
Yes, think that's a little bit unfair... But some people like to 'collect' and naming them - that's how they express themselves... If you give the colours original and inspiring names - that's OK - just remember that others sometimes want to discover a colour, too. But it makes me so mad when I see Lovers with thousands of colours and most of them are named with its HEX code or 'creative' names like 'pink'.
People have to name colors to use them in palettes, and it takes a while for the site to realize that a color was used in a palette--so don't assume a recently-named color wasn't used just because it doesn't list any palettes yet. It could also be in a pattern.

And some people just love colors...
I always like to have at least one color named in every palette so I can know if someone has copied. Nowm it's almost impossible to name one and I'm not going to sit and wait a long time just to search for an available one. I don't even try, anymore.
Would a list of available colors help?
Yes, sometimes the system does lag. However, it's not relevant to the situations we're discussing in this thread. :) We're speaking of members who spend hours (no exaggeration) deliberately seeking unclaiming colors, titling them with symbols, and then requiring others to ask them for permission to change the names.

mcdemarco wrote:
People have to name colors to use them in palettes, and it takes a while for the site to realize that a color was used in a palette--so don't assume a recently-named color wasn't used just because it doesn't list any palettes yet. It could also be in a pattern.

OrigamiMei wrote:
Yes, sometimes the system does lag. However, it's not relevant to the situations we're discussing in this thread. :) We're speaking of members who spend hours (no exaggeration) deliberately seeking unclaiming colors, titling them with symbols, and then requiring others to ask them for permission to change the names.

mcdemarco wrote:

I think the thread has been about both intentional hoarding and things that look like hoarding but aren't. The lover I follow with 20,000 colors has 50,000 palettes, but there was no qualifier initially on the implication that no one needs 20,000 colors. Maybe there's also a hoarder with 20,000 colors in two and a half years and no palettes, but I don't know who that is and it seems like quite the numerical coincidence.

Also, hex names are not necessarily in the system from hoarding; in fact it's still possible to make them accidentally with an app and not even realize you claimed them.
I must be REALLY lucky then I'm new, (been on site maybe three times) only made 37 palettes and have found 21 colours!!
weeredsquirrel wrote:
I must be REALLY lucky then I'm new, (been on site maybe three times) only made 37 palettes and have found 21 colours!!

It's easier to find darker colors than pastels, so depending on your tastes there may be a goldmine out there.
Team
I will be out of town all weekend so you guys all behave and be nice pretty-please. ;)

All in all there is nothing I can legitimately do as in action about this opinion of an issue. :)

So share your thoughts but let's keep it that everyone can view this quite different from many angles. The system isn't limited to letting someone spend hours clicking through to claim colors. While that's silly... there are people who have some kind of rhyme or reason to doing this action as an actual activity here on CL. be that they feel they want to claim and own and have people ask permission to re-name a color - for some reason or another.

People are all so different in our makeup and some people choose to run their CL profile in ways to make up for things they may lack or have too much of in their real lives. I'm not saying this is wrong or out of place but eventually this conversation is just going to go round and round and round an soon enough finger stabbing and name dropping and assumptions of perceptions and tangled words.

So try to leave it fairly laid out there as a point that was simply made... :)

I / we have no power to make any changes to rules, regulations or how the site functions. :)

Have a great weekend! ~ molly
Thank you, Molly. :) I appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to give input and listen to concerns.
Team
haha weelllll I'm just saying... I won't be here all weekend! :D I think it's ridiculous for anyone who purposefully hoards anything. :D
How dare you have a life outside of COLOURlovers?! D:

mollybermea wrote:
haha weelllll I'm just saying... I won't be here all weekend! :D I think it's ridiculous for anyone who purposefully hoards anything. :D
I made a group for sharing unloved colors, Take a Penny, Leave a Penny, since I run across a lot of them.
I "discover" a lot of colors by accident. I have no wish to claim them, i just can't post a palette or pattern without naming it. So i name it something stupid and move on. I have seen snide comments about "having an agenda" and wondered what it was about. Some people have some growing up to do. We don't "discover" colors, they have been here since time immemorial and will be here long after we're gone.
mollybermea wrote:
I will be out of town all weekend so you guys all behave and be nice pretty-please. ;)

All in all there is nothing I can legitimately do as in action about this opinion of an issue. :)

So share your thoughts but let's keep it that everyone can view this quite different from many angles. The system isn't limited to letting someone spend hours clicking through to claim colors. While that's silly... there are people who have some kind of rhyme or reason to doing this action as an actual activity here on CL. be that they feel they want to claim and own and have people ask permission to re-name a color - for some reason or another.

People are all so different in our makeup and some people choose to run their CL profile in ways to make up for things they may lack or have too much of in their real lives. I'm not saying this is wrong or out of place but eventually this conversation is just going to go round and round and round an soon enough finger stabbing and name dropping and assumptions of perceptions and tangled words.

So try to leave it fairly laid out there as a point that was simply made... :)

I / we have no power to make any changes to rules, regulations or how the site functions. :)

Have a great weekend! ~ molly
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

paulsky555
paulsky555
Hot Service – Today New Update

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN
Sell info fullz SSN + Dob + DL – Sell Info Fullz Dead UK USA

Telegram: Paulsky555
paulsky555
paulsky555

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

paulsky555
paulsky555

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

paulsky555
paulsky555

Fullz SSN DOB DL USA
Fullz CA + SIN

Skiffy
Skiffy
5 hours ago
So... is this site failing? There's so many things "the sphinx server has broken" Or is all this just "normal"?

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Colors

//View More ›

Latest Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Patterns

//View More ›
X

Terms Updated

We’d like to inform you that we have updated our Terms of Use. The most substantive changes are:

This platform was acquired by a joint venture in Israel.
changes have been made to the relevant jurisdiction for disputes which may arise out of your use of the platform.
Changes made to the monetization of users’ creations and the ability to opt out from your account settings.

Please view the revised Terms here. If you don’t mind anything there, then you don’t need to do anything. Your continued use of the platform will constitute your acceptance of the latest version of the Terms. If you disagree with anything there, you can terminate your account within seven days from today.