Welcome to our fashion color community. Here you'll find the latest fashion-focused Palettes and Patterns, as well as Blog, Trends and Forums to help you find the right look.

Channels»Fashion»Forums»Fashion»Haute Hues»Garter belts: why do men love them?

Join in the Colorful Conversations

Looking for answers to your color questions, have some advice to give... or simply want to get to know your fellow COLOURlovers? You're in the right place.

Garter belts: why do men love them?

Create New Topic
Showing 1 - 20 of 20 Comments

speakin_colors

The weirdest question a male student has ever asked me is: What’s the English for “portaligas”? He was talking about garter belts! From that moment onwards, I have always wanted to know the reason WHY men are so fond of those lingerie items. I guess it has to do with the slutty thing about them... or is it something else? What’s more, do ALL men love them?

speakin_colors

Speakin Colors has just received this note from a fellow CLover who doesn't want his name to be revealed in public. With his permission she will transcribe his quote which reads as follows:

I think garter belts are quite ridiculous, they always look so cheap while trying to look elegant. I never met one in real life though, so maybe I would find them looking hot or something then. One main point why some men like them is that the woman wears something but is naked anyway I guess. Isn't that how most of this stuff works actually, the tricky play of showing and hiding? :)

Loved your note and thanks for sharing!
Cristina :)

DeeTV Studio

I think it's subliminal, they probably sneaked a look at Penthouse models wearing them while they were quite young, so the image has stayed with them as they've grown up.
Although if males were the ones who had to wear them, they probably wouldn't be as interested - they aren't the most comfortable or practical garment for everyday wear are they?

StormGirl

speakin_colors wrote:
........... I guess it has to do with the slutty thing about them... or is it something else? What’s more, do ALL men love them?

speak for yourself... There is nothing slutty about elegant garments unless its some other womans on my bedroom floor.
...........I think garter belts are quite ridiculous, they always look so cheap while trying to look elegant. I never met one in real life though,

Well that would depend on where you shop.. no you are not likely to find real quality classy pieces at the local dime shop, neither will you find elegance at an adult toy shop... and in reply to the second part of this quote.. clearly..
lol. in fact there is nothing cheap in the quality of nylons a garter belt would be required for.. no they are not meant to be worn with cheap stockings you throw on for work..

lol. no Dee, that I agree with, not practical for work wear or comfortable if its not worn properly.. Im not talking about a tacky looking pretend elastic thing, they are just for fun for folk that cant afford beautiful garments...

OO I love lingerie, Im no man, and really I don't care why they like them, or even if they do.. but quality elegant lingerie makes me feel like a million dollars. Id sooner my man buy me lingerie any day.. flowers are cheap and die.. lingerie is expensive and out lasts all but the best of relationships.. "the best of" meaning the forever kind..;) he's teh one that was smart enough to buy me lingerie when all the other dopes thought a bunch of wilted flowers would do.

Perhaps real men like lingerie because its something they know quality women are wearing...

essexed_girl

Garter belts are stereotypically associated with streetwalkers so I guess there is “something slutty” about them… I suppose they conjure up ideas of sin, of perhaps something forbidden, of temporary pleasure and that must work on men's fantasies a lot…

NakuruAngel

They probably love them because they're hard to get off during sex and it frustrates them. LOL

essexed_girl

Haha! What a good answer! ;-)

markhenryyy

hahahaha nice one!

nawasbabu

may be it is honest confession

jon_no

i like clothed women. balance some skin and elements working. the best thing a woman can wear is a pair of old jeans and a t-shirt. at first...

BUT if your really ASKING because some guy wants to get one. just do it... this post is kinda old so you've probably figure it out..

those belts have been around since the begin of time.. its sad the things women have gone through for society's eye.. its wild that everyone wears the same clothes.. like jeans, women didn't start wearing clothes that men war until the war that empowered you girls.. i do think that there should be some social norms for women, youth, and grandma's clothes.

so its kinda ironic that belts become a sex symbol.

have you guys ever seen the dove evolution commercial on you-tube?..

Liebling

Unfortunately, we are highly influenced by popular media and marketing. This is capitalism at it's finest. It pushes the envelope until it hurts them, and then they stop... no regard for the moral effect or the detriment it has on their consumers. They think it's important for little girls to be dressed like they are 25 and going to the club for a hook-up. So they push that image on them starting really young, with commercials and products that encourage risque clothing and makeup (Barbie etc.) that makes them grow up believing that to be beautiful, you have to spend a lot of time and effort in clothes, hair and makeup instead of teaching them to value their mind and spirit instead. It's a bloody f'ing tragedy if you ask me, and now we are doing it to boys too. I actually saw a Victoria's Secret ad during a family program the other day. Really?? Do my boys need to think that women all look and dress like that and that's what they should expect? Ugh. I love the Dove commercial. I've used Dove product for a long time because of it. They are always tasteful and respectful to women and I adore that.

Don't get me wrong, garter belts can feel very sexy to a woman, and that can definitely change their attitude and demeanor... which is what their partner ultimately wants anyway. But less focus should be paid on how they make the man feel, and more on how it makes the woman feel. Some find them really uncomfortable and awkward.

My opinion of course, is never to let anyone tell you what to wear or suggest that you wear something for them. Wear what you choose and do it for you and how it makes you feel, not for anyone else. When you feel sexy, you are sexy and it has nothing to do with a garter belt or anything else that you have to put on... and that includes airs and facets of your personality. Just be you, the rest comes naturally.

dick123

ha ha ha ha its a nice post.

speakin_colors

haha. i had completely forgotten i had started this crazy thread...

OrigamiMei

Because they're sexy as hell.
I adore garter belts...

saxarocks

I'm not sure about men, but i'd love one to help keep my socks and stockings up. I dont like how they fall down when i walk. I always arrive places with my stockings around my knees

svoebel

Why do men like garters? Because it's very visual. Dressing up, taking on a persona and role playing is half the fun. I guess some of us like to play dress up. No matter how young or old we are. It's nice to wear something feminine- even if no one else can see it. And it's even nicer if your beau surprises you with something lovely. Contrary to some of the comments above, quality dyed to match lingerie is quite expensive. Certainly not cheap or tatty..

SiouxsieQ

StormGirl wrote:
speakin_colors wrote:
........... I guess it has to do with the slutty thing about them... or is it something else? What’s more, do ALL men like them?

speak for yourself... There is nothing slutty about elegant garments unless its some other womans on my bedroom floor.
...........I think garter belts are quite ridiculous, they always look so cheap while trying to look elegant. I never met one in real life though,

Well that would depend on where you shop.. no you are not likely to find real quality classy pieces at the local dime shop, neither will you find elegance at an adult toy shop... and in reply to the second part of this quote.. clearly..
lol. in fact there is nothing cheap in the quality of nylons a garter belt would be required for.. no they are not meant to be worn with cheap stockings you throw on for work..

lol. no Dee, that I agree with, not practical for work wear or comfortable if its not worn properly.. Im not talking about a tacky looking pretend elastic thing, they are just for fun for folk that cant afford beautiful garments...

OO I like lingerie, Im no man, and really I don't care why they like them, or even if they do.. but quality elegant lingerie makes me feel like a million dollars. Id sooner my man buy me lingerie any day.. flowers are cheap and die.. lingerie is expensive and out lasts all but the best of relationships.. "the best of" meaning the forever kind..;) he's teh one that was smart enough to buy me lingerie when all the other dopes thought a bunch of wilted flowers would do.

Perhaps real men like lingerie because its something they know quality women are wearing...

Very WELL said. stockings and garters are a classy and expensive undergarment apparel worn by a sexy, affluent society. If a slut or tramp is wearing garters, well she's attempting to classy up her look. Keyword being "attempt". Secrets in Lace come to mind. Check them out.

Peter-Pastel34

Do men love garter belts? What percentage; curious. Never cared for their look, nor have I known anyone who found them particularly appealing.
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Discussion Comments

sunshine-lollipops
sunshine-lollipops
Posted 12 hours ago
I guess our default strategy now is ctrl+a, ctrl+c on a comment just in case we lose it without it being posted. Last week I had to re-write a comment 3 times before I learned. :P
sunshine-lollipops
sunshine-lollipops
Posted 15 hours ago
eighteyed wrote:
My one wish through being patient while the bugs are worked out and the spammers run off is that management would make a short statement.

Definitely.
YersiniaP
YersiniaP
Posted 2 days ago
I am all for being patient while much needed changes are made to the site, but the complete absence of communication is very disturbing.
I feel it is a lack of respect towards the community to just leave us worrying and guessing every. bloody. time.

We have sat out weeks of CL not working because of DoS-Attacks, we've experienced several (for us: surprise) shut-downs as updates were implemented, we have grappled with the buggy fallout of many of these updates - and never a comment, a warning, a heads-up, an anything from anybody in charge.

Are we not worth being informed?

And now I sit and wait to see if this comment will actually be posted. I have not been able to comment anywhere, not even my own profile, for days.
amyanneerickson
amyanneerickson
Posted 2 days ago
Came back after being gone for 2 years to this disappointment, Also, once again, experienced issues with Seamless Light errors. Captchas are a pain in the butt (especially when they make you click though 3 pages of pics); however, I understand the need for them.
howla
howla
Posted 3 days ago
Trixxie wrote:
Have you tried another browser, like Google Chrome? I just tried Firefox and BPM (basic palette maker) worked fine and BPM also worked fine with Chrome. How about Photocopa? Have you tried making palettes that way? I'm just trying to help - I know it can be frustrating.

I understand you are. We're all frustrated. :)
I seemed able to make a basic palette in IE, but some of the pages on the site (like the homepage and login) take so long to load that they occasionally just lock up and stay blank. Other ones load quickly. I don't have Chrome on this computer, - I'd have to try it later on my laptop when I can access it.

TBH, I don't think I ever used Photocopa for my palettes. It never quite did what I wanted, and 90% of my palettes aren't based off photos.

Latest Articles

//View More ›

Latest Fashion Colors

//View More ›

Latest Fashion Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Fashion Patterns

//View More ›