Welcome. Here you'll find Palettes and Patterns, as well as a Blog, Trends and Forums to help guide your colorful business decisions..

Channels»Business»Blog
Scholarship & Book Winners: Four Days of Color with Leatrice Eiseman

Scholarship & Book Winners: Four Days of Color with Leatrice Eiseman


We have come to the nail biting finale of the Full Color Training Scholarship Contest where two winners will get to spend four days saturated in color with Leatrice Eiseman (colorexpert.com) in Burbank, California. COLOURlovers were asked to submit a palette they connected to their life, how color impacts their life as well as how they would like to use color more, to impact the lives of others.

Share this Post Pin It

We asked each finalist what they would expect to bring back from the class to apply to both their life personally and if applicable, professionally. Lastly, if they had any questions for Leatrice Eiseman. I have included these responses below. So without further adieu, because I know many of you stayed up waiting to hear...

First Place - Full Scholarship: Linda Holt

Occupation: Designer / Photographer

What she does: Owner of New Light Redesign (newlightredesign.com).

Location: Massachusetts, USA

"My intention should I win would be to apply my new color knowledge in my business. I have been doing interior color consulting for the past year but I want to take it to the next level. Like I mentioned in my application, I feel like the more I learn about color the more I realize there is to learn. Since my eye was trained for so many years as a photographer to see color as "light", the switch over to seeing color as pigment has been profound for me. I never knew until I bought Leatrice's books that color affects our moods. I guess I knew it intuitively but I am just fascinated by the whole psychology of color. Please please please pick me...I REALLY want to come. I promise I will work hard and be a good student!"

Linda's Questions for Leatrice:

1. Has Leatrice had a life long love of color and what was her path to becoming the "guru" she is today?

2. What inspires her when it comes to choosing color pallets?

3. What is the process for Pantone in choosing the much anticipated "color of the year"?

Linda has had this class on her calendar every year for at least the past two years. It is a lifetime dream for her to attend. Congratulations Linda!

First place will receive a fully paid scholarship for tuition to the Color + Design Training Programplus a copy of the book, PANTONE® The 20th Century in Color, by Leatrice (co-authored with Keith Recker).

 


Second Place - Half Scholarship: ModernMuse (aka Michelle Stroescu)

Occupation: Artist & Color Theory Professor

What she does: Painting (ModernMuse.net) & Teaching Color Theory (College Professor)

Location: Texas, USA

"I would expect to bring back to my class the huge amount of in depth color information ...trend application, social impact of color and why colors trend when they do ( curious, I am curious to hear Ms. Eisemane speak to this , since I am always trying to speak to my class about the importance of being aware of what is happening all around them .

I would love to be able to promote my winning this course for helping gain more credibility for our design dept. at school. And to help me to advertise my ColorMuse  paint workshops here in Dallas."

Michelle's Questions for Leatrice:

1. How does Pantone take into account  the current social/ political environment when deciding on future color palettes or do they at all ?

2. Are there really and truly color meanings related to a persons personality and characteristics?

3. Of all the Pantone color of the year selected by Pantone , which color / year had the most impact on businesses and sales?

Michelle teaches Color Theory for the Fashion Design and Marketing Students at El Centro Community College in downtown Dallas, Texas. She shares a strong passion for color and bringing that knowledge to those she teaches and through her art. Congratulations Michelle!

Second place will receive a half-paid scholarship for tuition to the Color + Design Training Programplus a copy of the book, PANTONE® The 20th Century in Color, by Leatrice (co-authored with Keith Recker).


Five runner-ups won a copy of PANTONE® The 20th Century in Color

Originally, I had made a list of finalists and a list of book selections. After having such a grueling time narrowing the finalists, some of you were in the running to win, but there were only two spots so the best I can do is give you an awesome book! I also did mix in with those only applying for a book as they lived too far away to attend the class. Believe me, you all deserve this opportunity and hope that you one day get to attend one of these classes.

In no particular order, book winners are:

  1. 1. haft2 The color authority for branding (haft2know.com)
  2. 2. Solosprings - in transition
  3. 3. lopezdegull - Image Consultant (lopezdegull.com)
  4. 4. greypupil - Artist (adriannemartin.com)
  5. 5. macole - Graphic Designer (marigolddesign.com)

I would like to end by saying that this was honestly one of the hardest decisions I have had to make here at COLOURlovers. Many of the submissions were more than submissions to a contest and some almost brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could give the first place prize to many of you as you are all very well deserving. Very late last night I was reading and re-reading over the initial submissions and then the finalist emails and waiting for a few stragglers to get their finalist responses in (hence the delay to give fair chance). As well as waiting to confirm if people would in fact be able to fund their travel along with 1/2 the scholarship cost if they were chosen for 2nd place.

I was extremely impressed at how dedicated some of you were to wanting this opportunity. Realizing in this economy how tight money can be. Some of the responses included having to sell their car and borrow money for traveling (from Brazil) where another, with a very supportive husband who knew how important this opportunity was, said they would make the cost of even 2nd prize work some how, some way. Others were planning on begging their workplace to help. This is how important color is to these people. This is how passionate these COLOURlovers are about color.

Leatrice does this class twice per year. Cross your fingers we can do another contest in the near future. Each contestant will be notified via Love Notes (internal COLOURlovers email).

Congratulations again to everyone!


Related Articles

39 Comments
Showing 1 - 30 of 39 Comments

OrigamiMei

Congratulations to all of the winners!! This is wonderful :D
I hope you all enjoy the book and for the few of you who get to go to the workshop, may you have an awesome time. :D

macole

I'm disappointed, of course, that I didn't win the scholarship but I'm super excited that I won the book! It was on my holiday wish list! Thank you!

Congratulations to all the winners! Have a wonderful time at the workshops, immersed in four days of color!

lopezdegull

Yay! Colors continue to give me great surprises. I am gratefull for this oportunity and for my book!
Congratulations to Linda and Michelle for winning the scholarships, you deserve it and I know you will squeeze the color knowlege from the greatest and natural Leatrice's approach.
Molly, you did an excellent work picking the scholarship winners. Hard work always pay back!
Thank you all,

Katty Lopez De Gull

BerryColor

Congratulations for all of the winners!! :)

greypupil

I am super excited that I won the book!! One day, I will have enough to attend the class! Thank you, Leatrice, for the book! I can't wait to sit down with some tea and get lost in its colorful wisdom!

Congrats to Linda and Michelle for winning the scholarships, I hope you have a great time!

Thanks, Molly, for going through the selection process... had to be hard, I bet!

Best to you all!!

haft2

This process was so fun. Thanks for organizing everything, Molly. Great job. I look really forward to receiving that fantastic book. Congrats to the scholarship winners! Great job, guys.

Take care everyone. Happy holidays.

Jason Allen
Haft2 Inc.

modernmuse

Thank you all for the congrats!!! I heard I won the 2nd place while having lunch with one of my very dedicated students. We both jumped up, " high fived", and hollered!!!! I am so excited for this opportunity. I know the money will be well worth the experience. The information I bring back into the classroom, as well as into my own business will be invaluable..Now I'm off and running to sell my latest paintings to support me on this adventure!!!!
Color on lovers, color on!!!!
Michelle Stroescu
modernmuse.net
Team

mollybermea

Thank you EVERYONE for your support on this contest. You have NO IDEA how hard it was to read through all those wonderful essays of everyone portraying and pouring their hearts out on what color means. Such wonderful, personal stories.

I really hope we can do another one like this. Everyone vote for a book review and giveaway of that book?? :)

Solosprings

WOW - I am stunned that I won the book. Thank you so much!!!

Congratulations to all the other winners! I hope we get to hear more from Linda and Michelle following the class. I would love to hear how it went and what they learned. Hope you both have an amazing time.

Best wishes,
Vanessa

LindaHolt

Thank you so much for the congratulations everyone. I was so excited to be named a finalist that I didn't sleep at all the night of the 8th ( just like I bet many of you didn't). I had read all the other entries and honestly didn't think I had a chance. When I found out that I had won I was SO incredibly excited. I have wanted to take Leatrice's class for years! I am also a blogger so I promise to share all my new knowledge with all of you. Looking forward to participating on a regular basis now with Colourlovers everywhere.
Team

mollybermea

We plan on doing post interviews with each winner, Linda and Michelle, after the class is over. So we will see how they liked it and what they learned. :)

macole

I can't wait to hear all about the class from Linda and Michelle! Taking the class is on my wish list for 2012—hopefully the next class!

Color Dancer

congratulations to all .. I hope you have a great time with Leatrice.
I'm disappointed for not winning, but Molly and her team made the best choice! congratulations to you too.
it was great to participate! thank you

I hope the next contest for the second class of 2012 !!

\ o /
:)
Team

mollybermea

Just a heads up and to keep your eyes open:

We are planning on doing a book review and to give away another 5 books as well as do another scholarship giveaway for her summer session in Washington.

There is still a chance that some of you who didn't get picked this time around have a chance! :) Stay tuned in January (for the book) and early spring (for the class one).

- Molly
Community Curator / Blog Editor

BerryColor

Nice! :D

mollybermea wrote:
Just a heads up and to keep your eyes open:

We are planning on doing a book review and to give away another 5 books as well as do another scholarship giveaway for her summer session in Washington.

There is still a chance that some of you who didn't get picked this time around have a chance! :) Stay tuned in January (for the book) and early spring (for the class one).

- Molly
Community Curator / Blog Editor

FrostDragon

awwww man didnt win... but CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO DID!!!!!!!!!!!! XDXDXD

omentum

It bothers me a little when people swoop in just to win contests, then are never heard from again, and contribute nothing to the site. Same thing happened with the Betabrand shirt contest. It would be nice to see active contributors winning the contests.

sundancer

omentum wrote:
It bothers me a little when people swoop in just to win contests, then are never heard from again, and contribute nothing to the site. Same thing happened with the Betabrand shirt contest. It would be nice to see active contributors winning the contests.

Me too. At least the Betabrand sock contest was won by COLOURlovers we all know and cherish. <3

OrigamiMei

Gee, what about the DNA contest? :P

sundancer wrote:
omentum wrote:
It bothers me a little when people swoop in just to win contests, then are never heard from again, and contribute nothing to the site. Same thing happened with the Betabrand shirt contest. It would be nice to see active contributors winning the contests.

Me too. At least the Betabrand sock contest was won by COLOURlovers we all know and cherish. <3

sundancer

OrigamiMei wrote:
Gee, what about the DNA contest? :P


AND the DNA contest!!! <3 you!!!

OrigamiMei

lol :P <3 you too!
But yeah....4 of the 5 winners of this contest are unknowns. I guess they figured others needed the training more than we experienced colorologists do? Is there even such a thing as a colorologist?

sundancer wrote:
OrigamiMei wrote:
Gee, what about the DNA contest? :P


AND the DNA contest!!! <3 you!!!

sundancer

OrigamiMei wrote:
lol :P <3 you too!

Peace_in_the_Blood

Peace in the Blood
Peace in the Blood by OrigamiMei
www.COLOURlovers.com


<3 you moooore! :P

OrigamiMei

I highly doubt it!

sundancer wrote:
OrigamiMei wrote:
lol :P <3 you too!

Peace_in_the_Blood
<3 you moooore! :P

LindaHolt

Hi Sundancer and OrigamiMei,
I know you are referring to me and as one of the unknowns who swooped in and won the contest. I totally understand why you feel that way. In all honesty, I did just discover the website when the contest was going on. since then I have been somewhat overwhelmed. I had my entire family at my house for a month over the holidays and then I ended up injuring my neck and have been somewhat out of commission for the past 5 weeks. I am just starting to feel better and over the weekend I logged on to Colourlovers and started playing around with the site. I actually am super excited to start getting involved in Colourlovers. If you have any suggestions as the best way to get started I would greatly appreciate it. I am redoing my logo and I found a great pallet as my color inspiration. I know this site is going to be as addicting for me as Pinterest is! Please except my apology and I promise I won't be an unknown for long.

OrigamiMei

There's nothing to apologize for. You didn't do anything wrong. :) When I referred to you and other winners of that contest as "unknowns", I wasn't trying to be derogatory.
Feel better soon!

LindaHolt wrote:
Hi Sundancer and OrigamiMei,
I know you are referring to me and as one of the unknowns who swooped in and won the contest. I totally understand why you feel that way. In all honesty, I did just discover the website when the contest was going on. since then I have been somewhat overwhelmed. I had my entire family at my house for a month over the holidays and then I ended up injuring my neck and have been somewhat out of commission for the past 5 weeks. I am just starting to feel better and over the weekend I logged on to Colourlovers and started playing around with the site. I actually am super excited to start getting involved in Colourlovers. If you have any suggestions as the best way to get started I would greatly appreciate it. I am redoing my logo and I found a great pallet as my color inspiration. I know this site is going to be as addicting for me as Pinterest is! Please except my apology and I promise I won't be an unknown for long.

LindaHolt

Hi ,

I know that...I just want you to know that I understand how you all are feeling and that I am looking forward to getting involved.

Thanks!


OrigamiMei wrote:
There's nothing to apologize for. You didn't do anything wrong. :) When I referred to you and other winners of that contest as "unknowns", I wasn't trying to be derogatory.
Feel better soon!

LindaHolt wrote:
Hi Sundancer and OrigamiMei,
I know you are referring to me and as one of the unknowns who swooped in and won the contest. I totally understand why you feel that way. In all honesty, I did just discover the website when the contest was going on. since then I have been somewhat overwhelmed. I had my entire family at my house for a month over the holidays and then I ended up injuring my neck and have been somewhat out of commission for the past 5 weeks. I am just starting to feel better and over the weekend I logged on to Colourlovers and started playing around with the site. I actually am super excited to start getting involved in Colourlovers. If you have any suggestions as the best way to get started I would greatly appreciate it. I am redoing my logo and I found a great pallet as my color inspiration. I know this site is going to be as addicting for me as Pinterest is! Please except my apology and I promise I won't be an unknown for long.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Search The Blog

Subscribe & Share

Our Latest Tweets

Got a masterpiece jack-o-lantern? Show your skills, reply w/ photos of your phenomenal pumpkin http://t.co/hQYNofAPU6 http://t.co/lJhunyBoAj
about 3 hours ago
Tweet this ArticleFollow @COLOURlovers

Latest Business Blog Posts

//View More ›

Tags

Latest Business Colors

//View More ›

Latest Business Palettes

//View More ›

Latest Business Patterns

//View More ›