Zentangle Series: Botanical Pattern Design Tips & Tricks

Zentangle Series: Botanical Pattern Design Tips & Tricks

The illustrative world of Botany is so intriguing. Aside from the scientific points, you can learn so much in color use, shape and form and line work. It gets you to pay attention to the fine details of design rather than just the overall idea of say, a flower.

Today I've got a video that follows a botanical design from start to finish. In this video I showcase how you can utilize blending, shading, outlining and a few tricks altogether.

Here are my finished pattern template and primary shape used to make this video:

Flower_Blends_505Flower_Blend

Here are a number of shading and blending elements you can develop using multiple squeezed shapes mashed together and saved as a Custom Shape to re-use:

Shading_longShade_-_HatchingGrid_-_SpokesShading_Thick

Would you find it valuable for me to make an entire video on making shading and blending elements such as these? The more complex shape, Shade - Hatching (above), is a series  of squeezed dew-drop shape (found under the Sky Shapes category), then I used a stretched and modified crescent shape (same category) to round out the base.

You can create any number of shading and blending custom shapes. I find it useful to create ones with longer lines, shorter lines, longer in width, curved bases (curved bases help streamline elements for floral designs). Having them on hand really cuts down on time when you want to be artistic and not spend all your time making the shading pieces at the same time.

Get Inspiration from Anatomic Botanical Illustration

While you can peruse the shapes and patterns all over COLOURlovers.com, that's good for practice but copying work for practice will not allow you to create your own sense of style and imagination. Instead, after giving a little practice a go... knowing where to look for ideas is key.

Anatomic Illustration is really quite interesting because it generally pieces off organic matter such as flowers, plants, insects, etc. and definitively shows nice line and color work enough for you to turn those art pieces in to a Seamless Lite pattern design in your own reflection.

body_botanicalillustration

Source: Botany Diagram Artwork | Flower Artwork #2

Pinterest Boards to utilize as resources for inspirational imagery:

I would take some time to peruse through these links and just practice drawing and saving shapes and build up your library. Don't put pressure on yourself for making some fancy pattern, literally just spend an hour making 5+ types of vines and leaves. Then work on petals and flowers.... and so on. Once you do a ton of drawing practice, move in to putting some of those elements in to a pattern design. Remember, a good pattern does not have to have a thousand different elements. A good pattern consists of:

• * Start with a main element of interest (or create vines and work on the seamless connections - this falls under the "stripes" type of patterns).
  • * Connect it with some type of line-work such as vines or decorated lines (add bubbles, triangles, etc along the line like dew-drops on a vine).
  • * Use the Diagonal Axis rather than limiting yourself to the Artboard "boxy" Square

Great Examples of Seamless Lite Botanical Shapes for Inspiration:

Lantern_FlowersPeacock_FlowerDont_Look_At_ThisHibiscusFLOWERMum_Testfolk_flowerFlowerFLOWERFlower_6Flower_429LotusFlower_With_StamensStrange_FlowerflowerMotif_flowerFlowerFlower_7Pod_FlowerMallowFan_BlendDot_Thing

See many more great flower designs! I basically set the search results on CL to "flower" under the dropdown, Shapes option.

mollybermea

this caught my eye.... <3 adore it.
Albenajs_Tea_Time

sec9586

Grass1Line_Leaf

I love what you posted for inspiration :)

mollybermea

Awesome! and I love your shares! :D
sec9586 wrote:
Grass1Line_Leaf

I love what you posted for inspiration :)

Ifihadapaintcan

Thanks for this post. (I thought I had already commented on it. I must have done that in my head...tee hee...anyway) I watched the video of making the flower (violet, perhaps?). That was really helpful. (I've had trouble getting my shapes to save, but I'll practice more later.) I really appreciate the help!

Ifihadapaintcan

Oh, and yes, it would help Me to see a video on making shading elements, but if I'm the only one, then I'll wing it!

mollybermea

I can help and may pick up sometime in a month .. .I have had a lot of vacation time right now and through August! :) so hang tight! :) thanks for your comments

Ifihadapaintcan

Thanks! I hope you enjoy your vacation!

mollybermea

Thanks so much! just a bunch of family trips! :D

(I am currently on volunteer basis for CL so it's slow for me to get in here between trips and the trips have been very rural, no wifi or cell coverage).

Ifihadapaintcan wrote:
Thanks! I hope you enjoy your vacation!

paintglass

Ifihadapaintcan wrote:

I'M IN FOR THAT, TOO!! (:

Ifihadapaintcan

Good! I didn't want to be the only one (seems demanding, right?)
paintglass wrote:
Ifihadapaintcan wrote:

I'M IN FOR THAT, TOO!! (:

paintglass

Ifihadapaintcan wrote:
Good! I didn't want to be the only one (seems demanding, right?)
Yup....Will see what it looks like, but I'm intimidated, that's for sure

paintglass wrote:
Ifihadapaintcan wrote:

I'M IN FOR THAT, TOO!! (:

sharonvirtue

Thanks Molly this is great inspiration! Stay in touch!

Florind

Beautiful~
Thanks for your tips!

StewartJameson

Nice botanical patterns. The anatomic botanical illustration is astounding. Haven't seen anything more beautiful for a long time (except my GF hehe) :D .

wareth100

هل انت من سكان جدة وتعانى من اعمال التنظيف وتعانى من القيام بازاله الاتربة وتعانى من التغيرات التى تصل اليها نتيجة التنظيف التقليدى فنحن في انتظارك لكى تشعر بالراحه النفسية الهدوء داخل المكان شركة تنظيف بجدة

شركة تنظيف بحائل من اهم الشركات التى تعتمد على الاجهزة في اعمال التنظيف والتى تساعد في تحقيق افضل النتائج المثالية في التنظيف فضلا عن طرق التنظيف التقليدية فعليك ان تتصل وتتعاقد معنا على الفور في القيام بهذه الخدمة الان شركة تنظيف بحائل

تهدف شركة ركن الخليج الى خدمة جميع عملاءنا الكرام فنحن نقوم باعمال التنظيف في خميس مشيط فشركتنا رخيصة مجربة ولديها القدره على الوصول الى افضل النتائج الاساسية المميزة شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط

شركة تنظيف بمكة تلقت عدد من شكاوى عملاءنا الكرام للقيام باعمال التنظيف والسعى الى القضاء على التغيرات التى تطرا على المكان بسبب اعمال التنظيف التقليدية فاتصل واستعن بينا من اجل ان نصل الى افضل النتائج المثالية شركة تنظيف بمكة

تعتبر الخزانات من اهم الاشياء التى تشغل بال عملاءنا الكرام نظرا لان الخزانات من اكثر الاشياء التى تتعلق بالصحة العامة والتجارب اثبتت ان معظم الامراض تاتى من تلوث المياه شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض

تنظيف الخزانات بالمدينة المنورة من اهم الخدمات التى تقدمها شركة ركن الخليج فمهما كان نوع الخزان المتواجد في المكان ومهما كانت درجة الاتساخ فالشركة تقوم باعمال التنظيف الان شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
هل تعانى من تنظيف شقتك وتعانى من اعمال التنظيف للشقق الجديدة نظرا لانها تحتوى على كثير من الجبس وبقايا البناء فعليك ان تتعاقد مع شركتنا في القيام بالتنظيف من الداخل والخارج شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة

شركة تنظيف شقق بخميس مشيط من اهم الشركات التى تقوم باعمال التنظيف للشقق والتى تساعد في اعمال التنظيف والوصول الى اعلى مستوى من التميز واذا اراد ان تقوم بهذه الخدمة فعليك ان تستعن بينا على الفور في القيام بالتنظيف شركة تنظيف شقق بخميس مشيط

تنظيف الفلل من اصعب الخدمات التى تقوم بيها عملاءنا الكرام نظرا لان الفلل تتميز بالمساحه الشاسعه وان بيها العديد من الاماكن التى تحتاج الى التنظيف فاذا كنت في اى مكان في حائل وتعانى من تنظيف فيلتك فعليك ان تتصل بينا على الفور شركة تنظيف فلل بحائل

تنظيف المنازل من اهم الاشياء التى تقوم بيها شركة ركن الخليج والتى تهتم باعمال التنظيف مخن الداخل والخارج فاذا اراد ان تحصل على منزل نظيف خالى من الاتربة استعن بينا الان شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام

تعتمد شركة تنظيف بجدة على افضل الامكانيات الاساسية المميزة التى تساعد في التنظيف من العماله المدربة على اعلى مستوى واحدث الاجهزة الاساسية التى تساعد في تنظيف فاذا كنت في اى مكان في جدة استعن بينا على الفور شركة تنظيف منازل بجدة

تقوم شركة ركن الخليج باعمال التنظيف في خميس مشيط وتسعى الى القضاء على الاتربة والاوساخ والتغيرات المناخية المختلفه التى تساعد في القيام بهذه الخدمة على اعلى مستوى فاذا كنت في اى مكان بخميس مشيط عليك ان تتعاون معنا الان شركة تنظيف منازل بخميس مشيط

جلى رخام بالرياض تهتم باعمال التنظيف والجلى والوصول الى افضل النتائج المثالية فاذا كنت تمتلك اى نوع من انواع الارضيات المتواجدة من البورسلين الرخام والجرانيت وغيرها من انواع الارضيات فعليك ان تتواصل وتتعاقد معنا على الفور شركة جلى رخام بالرياض

toanlanh65

dung công cụ gì mà tạo hay quá ah