Seamless Studio Beta: Help Us Test It

Seamless Studio Beta: Help Us Test It

Very exciting! - We've been working hard on a much-improved desktop version of the Seamless pattern-maker called Seamless Studio. Sponsored members of the community have been helping us test the beta and now we're opening up the beta to everybody else! We'd love your thoughts and feedback on the new app.

Download the Seamless Studio Beta Here:

Here’s some of the stuff we think you'll love in the new Seamless Studio:
* Save and open your templates as you're working on them
* Build your own custom shape libraries
* Import external shapes
* Upload templates directly to COLOURlovers
* Preview your COLOURlovers template in color
* Create patterns with unlimited colors
* Design on custom canvas sizes

Documentation and help sections for things like "Understanding the Interface", "Document Modes", "Custom Shapes" & more can be found here: Seamless Studio Documentation & Help

Get On The Seamless Notification List: Be the first to know when the full version launches!

*A Note on Importing Shapes with Seamless Studio*

With how talented our members are, it’s hard to know when they used their amazing talents to create a custom shape.. or when they imported a vector shape from another source.

It’s ok to import shapes from other creators when you have the appropriate permissions to do so. Please do not upload pattern templates that include imported shapes / images that are copyrighted. If you use shapes that are licensed with a creative common license, please link the source in the description. Unattributed pattern templates that include copyrighted content will be removed.

*How To Help Us Beta Test*

Once you've had a chance to play with the app, we'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

Just copy and paste the text below into a love note to COLOURlover or email to love@colourlovers.com and send it along with your thoughts:

=======================================
Seamless Studio Beta Feedback
=======================================
Your name:

Your occupation:

Operating Systems tested:

Seamless Studio Feedback:
----------------------------
* Describe any problems encountered during installation:

* Describe your initial impressions of Seamless Studio:

* What features/tools, if any, did you find to be confusing or difficult to use?

* What new features do you like most about Seamless Studio?

* What do you think could be improved?

* Describe any problems or bugs encountered while testing Seamless Studio:

* Would you recommend Seamless Studio to a friend? Why or why not?

* How often do you use Seamless Studio?

* What other software programs do you use on a regular basis?

* Please describe any additional comments regarding Seamless Studio:

Quijotesca

What's the best way to report a specific error? I'm getting a pretty annoying one.

COLOURlover

Send a love note to brianreavis... he'll take care of it :)

MayaBella

Im having fun with it so far. I will play around with it more and fill out the comments later. Thanks for this!

MayaBella

=======================================
Seamless Studio Beta Feedback
=======================================
Your name: Shannon

Your occupation: SAHM, Crafter

Operating Systems tested: Inkscape

Seamless Studio Feedback: Great! But a few things that could be improved to make it easier to manipulate.
----------------------------
* Describe any problems encountered during installation: When I uploaded my design to Colourlovers it was colorless. Just blacks and grays.

* Describe your initial impressions of Seamless Studio: Awesome!! There is so much great potential. I have found repeating to be frustrating so this is a great help.

The lines would not work. It would not let me drag to the canvas.

* What new features do you like most about Seamless Studio? that you can see how the pattern is going to repeat immediately. That is awesome.

* What do you think could be improved? When scaling, it would be cool to be able to scale while the shape is locked. Like holding down control or something.

* Describe any problems or bugs encountered while testing Seamless Studio:
When uploading to Colourlovers it was colorless

* Would you recommend Seamless Studio to a friend? Why or why not? For sure. I plan to. It is a great tool for fabric designers.

* What are the first 3 words that pop into your head when you think of Seamless Studio? Helpful, Easy, Fun

* How often do you use Seamless Studio? Well I am just trying it out for the first time. But hope to have access to it indefinitely.

* What other software programs do you use on a regular basis? Gimp, Inkscape.

* Please describe any additional comments regarding Seamless Studio: Thanks for the chance to play with this!

UPtimist

I downloaded this a while back and is it supposed to be a 15-day trial version? Can't use it anymore...

hanabi

Your name: hanabi

Your occupation: textile designer

Operating Systems tested:inkscape

Seamless Studio Feedback:
----------------------------
* Describe any problems encountered during installation:

* Describe your initial impressions of Seamless Studio:

grouping could be more functional

* What new features do you like most about Seamless Studio
importing shapes

* What do you think could be improved?
too memory hungry, some streamlining would be great.
Describe any problems or bugs encountered while testing Seamless Studio:
had some initial problems importing shapes, all corrected now
sometimes the program freezes esp. with firefox open.
a couple of times w. inkscape too.

* Would you recommend Seamless Studio to a friend? Why or why not?
intuitive,fun, effective
How often do you use Seamless Studio?
during this testing every day. running out of trial time!!what then, cold turkey???

* What other software programs do you use on a regular basis?
photoshop, inkscape, various textile programs, kaleider, tess

* Please describe any additional comments regarding Seamless Studio:
transparent layers and merge modes would be awesome
customisation options
ability to upload colored ssf.

COLOURlover

@UPtimist

Each beta release allows you another trial period to test it. You can download the latest version 1.0.7 and play again.

Marnix_IxD

Just tried to install the mac version and got:

The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author.

aepstein

Hi Marnix, Ixd,

Sounds like there might have been a problem downloading the installer to your computer. Can you try downloading it again, and saving it to a different location on your computer? Does that help?

Marnix_IxD

I already did :) no change it still says its a broken installer in adobe air.

COLOURlover

@Marnix,

Is the downloaded file you have 1.3 MB? And did you download the DMG?

Marnix_IxD

yes it is, and yes its the dmg :P sorry for bringing up a mystery

COLOURlover

What version of Mac OS do you have?

And, don't you worry... ace detectives Colour & Lovers, PIs are on the case!

Marnix_IxD

Mac OS X 10.6.7
Processor 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Latest version of Adobe AIR

brianreavis

Marnix_IxD wrote:
Mac OS X 10.6.7
Processor 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Latest version of Adobe AIR

If it's not too much trouble... would you mind checking to see if there's a log file with more information about the error? Adobe has a little guide here: http://adobe.ly/luQ5tp My email address is: brian [at] colourlovers.com. Thanks!

Marnix_IxD

I figured out I would install the latest official AIR release, I had a developers license of it, and it now works.

sltinerella

I love it. I love that you can add color right away, that makes a big difference. I also am happy that I can save a group as a shape. The grouping is a lot easier to use for some reason and this can save a a lot of time when doing intricate patterns. Very happy with this. How much will it cost?

American Women

Whats the easiest way to convert a jpeg to svg on a mac so I can import an image?

VitaminD81

*sighs*
I get this message:
I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11

COLOURlover

@Vitamin, did you download the DMG?

brianreavis

VitaminD81 wrote:
*sighs* I get this message: "You cannot open the application "Install Seamless Studio" because it is not supported on this system." I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11

Seamless Studio is not compatible with PowerPC Macs, unfortunately (if you happen to be on one). :(

Highwireart

I created a pattern and saved as with (.ssf) file ending. The "Upload to Colourlovers" under FILE is dithered out with the pattern I made open. When I open Seamless without any pattern created, the "Upload to Colourlovers" appeared to be activated (no longer dithered out). But, nothing happens when I upload. I was thinking it would ask me where to find the file. So not sure how you have set it up to work. Thank you for your feedback.

Oh, PC, Firefox, using Windows 7.

American Women

Okay rephrasing question - What format does your shape have to be in to import it into the program?
American Women wrote:

Faeleia

OH YAY THANKS FOR USING MY PATTERN! :D
*Time_to_Wrap*Risking_A_Dream

Marnix_IxD

=======================================
Seamless Studio Beta Feedback
=======================================
Your name: Marnix

Your occupation: Interaction Designer

Operating Systems tested: Mac OSX 10.6.7

Seamless Studio Feedback:
----------------------------
* Describe any problems encountered during installation:
After I found out that my Adobe AIR version was a beta developers version released by Adobe for my work. I reinstalled the latest public release of AIR and that worked fine.
Easy to install setup, shame I missed a key :P

* Describe your initial impressions of Seamless Studio:
Clean layout, I'm not sure if I find the shapes drop down very easy to find visually the arrow is on the small size.

I did not understand how I could import my own shapes, what file format they should be.

I find the layer system unclear when you use squares, differentiating the layer shape preview from the colour selector is difficult.

I dislike the fact I cannot move the stage, when I'm zoomed in I cannot go to the upper corner easily.

I would like the grid to be more flexible(it would be really cool if grids could be included with different shapes like triangular grid or other shapes, and also adjustable settings for size and snapping.

The colour selector skips certain colour codes when dragging with the mouse, I think if you mouseover these colour selectors scrolling the wheel should up or down the value by 1, right now scrolling is not functional.

* What new features do you like most about Seamless Studio?
Being able to add more than 5 colours to the patterns.
Being able to add your own shapes (although I find it unclear how could make your own shapes inside of the application)

* What do you think could be improved?
Like mentioned before,
- Grid
- Snapping
- The selecting of shapes on the stage with the pointer cursor and the clearness of the drawing area compared to the rest of the stage. I think(personal opinion) zooming this far out of the pattern wont be needed by many if you had a clear preview of the pattern.
- Overall clearness of adding your own shapes
- Memory performance it's very slow with complicated layers
- The colour selector precision
- The ability to move the stage with a hand tool or a (mini hud where you can click and it changes the viewing position)

* Describe any problems or bugs encountered while testing Seamless Studio:
- none so far

* Would you recommend Seamless Studio to a friend? Why or why not?
- dunno yet if I would, right now I associate it with colourlovers which is a fun platform/community for me. So for that reason I would recommend it, but for professional usage I think it doesn't offer enough flexibility yet, like opacity in shapes, creating own lines, and its hard to make pixel perfect things with it.

-Fun
-Experimental
-Strange(because it looks so different and also proportions of interface elements and their placement are new to me)

* How often do you use Seamless Studio?
- I cannot give an estimation of this

* What other software programs do you use on a regular basis?
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator

* Please describe any additional comments regarding Seamless Studio:
- great job so far :) I can see something great coming out of this.

ycc2106

ycc2106

VitaminD81 wrote:
*sighs*
I get this message:
I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11

ARRRG!! =(
Maybe you could make a dual boot and install Linux? How much space and RAM do you have?

American Women